Norinco shotguns

a454me

I'm looking for a shotgun for CAS and kinda narrowed it down to a Norinco copy of 1897 pump or 1887 lever action as they seem to be the most available .Can you guys tell me the good/bad about these models ?
thanks

they're made of very great steel, the stock are nice wood, they shoot very good, the only thing bad is their springs. I have a 1887 lever action model, I asked a gunsmith to change all the springs and mine never failed!

I had a chance to examine the 1897 pump. Everything seemed soild and well made, good wood and very smooth action. It impressed me for less than $400 I would buy one.

actually I believe they are called IAC now. Both are solid shotguns with the 97 being one of the most used in CAS. The 87 seems to need more work to make it run well and just is not as fast as the 97, and cowboy after all is a timed sport. I've shot my 97 for about 4 years now and it has not missed a beat, and no one can accuse a cowboy shooter of babying any of their guns. While I have shot the 87 I won't be dropping the 97 any time soon, and even if I did it would be for a double not an 87.

Jack (just my 2 cents and worth every penny)

I'm not up on the IAC 87's. I do have an original tho. As far as the 97's go try to get a later model as the early ones had some problems and really crappy wood. Mine is serial numbered 01038xx. It's either a late third model or early fourth. It has no function isues other than being a little rough but slicks up with use. Does have the crappy wood tho. Anything numbered after mine should be good to go but the ones after number 0104000 all have good wood plus some internal improvements.

If you decide on the '97 try for a serial # of '06 :rolleyes:
The earlier mds did have issues but i think it was mostly springs & such-
I've owned & shot the '87's but while very cool lookin i never got close to fast with them, the "Drop Two" for CAS takes sum pratice & the gun really has to do its job too :(
I as well would go for a double before a '87----

Hoss I may be wrong but aren't all the 06's trench guns? Or is it just all trench guns are 06's?

May be that all the trench are '06 but the 06's are'nt all trench guns :confused:

The 06 is just a start of a different "generation" of runs, I used to have a chart of when each serial number prefix was manufactered but guess i filed it where i would'nt lose it :(

Thanks for the replies ,I got to handle one of each at a gunshop the other day and the 87 lever gun clone was a slicker feeling action than the 97 pump gun and I even kinda like the looks of it better .

Good style points but it's gonna take a lotta, lotta practice to get anywhere near fast with it.

Back