Norinco Mac 90 are these in any way special?

2wheelwander

"Special" might be the wrong term, but I recall these being ~$299 when they were first available. Now I see them advertised $1500+. Then I see something about a 'square frame' model.

My grandfather had a .223 MAC 90 he bought and never fired. I see the mags for these are pricey.

I am not an AK guy, but am curious as to any insight anyone might share regarding these rifles.

Well regarded

The Norinco MAC is generally very well regarded among the AK fans. Everything has gone nuts price wise, still wish I had purchased 10 Russian SKS's at 89 bucks each back in the day too, I am glad I bought 3. Still have one just because, I see them going for 1000-1500 bucks now. Heck that's like buying Microsoft stock....

Are the ones you see at $1500 converted to a standard AKM style. The straight back receivers will take other AKM furniture with a little work. The slant back receivers are usually found on the milled guns.

Like anything that's no longer available the price goes up.

@MC 1911 Glad you mentioned that, milled receivers.

I remember when SKS's were $89 as well. Should've bought several. But, they didn't interest me then, and they still don't today.

Had no idea why the Norinco's would draw any attention. Seemed like any other AK to me.

The Norinco rifles use 1.5mm thick steel vs 1mm used by other manufacturers for their receivers. I’ve had mine since the 80’s and it’s a darn good rifle, combat accuracy no problem. I only paid $118.00+shipping for mine, I should have bought ten.

The Norinco rifles use 1.5mm thick steel vs 1mm used by other manufacturers for their receivers. I’ve had mine since the 80’s and it’s a darn good rifle, combat accuracy no problem. I only paid $118.00+shipping for mine, I should have bought ten.
While I am not sure about the Norinco receivers, I do know that the Polytech stamped receivers were 1.6mm steel. I thought they were the same specs, but could be wrong. Polish AK's use 1.5mm steel. Polytech parts sets should be mated up with 1.6mm receivers.

Norincos come in stamped and milled variants. Square and slant back. Polytech and Norinco. They've been banned from import since 1991? They've become collectible since. I have a few. Welds are crude. There is nothing magical about them.

They were built on Russian tooling with Russians training the workers, so they're "as close" to a Russian AK as you can get.

It reminds me of Cuban cigars. Cuban cigars are expensive, not because they are better, but because you can't get them.

If I see one for $600 am I buying it? Heck yes.

Norincos come in stamped and milled variants. Square and slant back. Polytech and Norinco. They've been banned from import since 1991? They've become collectible since. I have a few. Welds are crude. There is nothing magical about them.

They were built on Russian tooling with Russians training the workers, so they're "as close" to a Russian AK as you can get.

It reminds me of Cuban cigars. Cuban cigars are expensive, not because they are better, but because you can't get them.

If I see one for $600 am I buying it? Heck yes.
Actually, there are some things better about the Polytech stamped receiver AK's.
- The barrel is thicker and fully chrome lined - designed to work with corrosive ammo.
- spiked bayonet - opinion, but I think they look good.
- finishing on receiver was decent - brushed/blued - not as crude as many AK's.
- Bolt carrier was finished to better specs than most AK bolt carriers
- Fire control parts are better quality than fire control parts in many other AK's.
- Receivers were 1.6mm, stiffer and stronger than other AK's.

I used to own a Polytech stamped receiver AK - Pre 1990. I had compared it to a number of other AK variants. Quality of the Polytech was stood out. Should have kept that one!!!

Intersting info. Going to have to dig into this a bit.

Are the .223 variants more sought after/bring more money just because there are fewer out there?

Norinco AK's always seemed a bit cruder than the Polytechs. Although, I am sure they share some of the same parts. Like the barrel. The Polytech/Norinco barrels share the same unusual turn marks on the outside of the barrel. Has to be made on the same equipment. I never actually took measurements on the Norinco AK's. I'm assuming they are 1.6mm receivers, but not sure. The Norinco bolt carriers and hammers seemed a bit cruder than Polytech's as well. If you ever get to see a Polytech hammer up close (sounds funny), you will see what I mean - nicely made part, different steel - bluing on it has a purple hue to it.

The C&R market and non C&R's like the Chinese Norinco's have gone up by a large margin. Chines MAK 90's bought for $325.00 are now going for $1500.00. The Norinco AKS's, about the same. Another example is the Yugoslavian 59/66 SKS's. I bought five new in crate for $600.00 delivered. I sold one last Winter for $650.00 and was told I let it go too cheap. I was all over the C&R market back in the early 2000 years. Glad I did!

Attachments

• AK's and SKS's.jpg
    AK's and SKS's.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 5
Back