Norinco 45 project

rinoray

I am interested in starting a pistol project. I know that there are lots of kits out there. However, I thought I would start with an operational inexpensive pistol. Kits with everything were fairly close to what this pistol cost me ($350). I understand Norinco frame is good forged quality. I want to learn to tighten slide/frame, different slide, install match barrel & bushing, lighten trigger, ect..
My question to you builders out there.
Good idea or go w/kit.

Appreciate any feedback you may have + or -.
Thanks!
45acp-2.jpg

Hi, Rinoray,

Buy both of Jerry Kuhnhausen's books and read them thoroughly before doing anything else. You need not follow him slavishly or buy all the tools he uses, but you will get an idea of what is involved. Then get Brownell's catalog and check out the prices of what you think you will need.

Advice on the web may or may not be OK, but you have no way of judging it or of knowing whether the person giving it is an expert who has worked on hundreds of guns, or a doofus who never held a pistol but once overheard something in a gun store.

IMHO, the Norinco is a good gun and not a bad starting point.

Good luck.

Jim

Jerry Kuhnhausen's books can be ordered from....

http://www.gunbooks.com Also get a Brownell's catalog http://www.brownells.com for the parts and tools that my may need.

Visit the 1911 Forum, a link is provided in my signature. We have a pistol smithing section as well as a Norinco forum. As a point of curiosity, why do you want to change the slide?

slide change

Guys,

I was toying with the idea of a 40SW slide assembly to go along with the original norinco 45, shoot both from one gun. I think it will require an extractor change, get varying opinions on this subject. I did look at brownells site and saw the Infintiy slide with interchangable breech faces, interesting idea, but seems like $$$. Any ideas. This is my first project, so I have some ideas that may need tuning.
Your thoughts!

Thanks!

You starting with a very good basic set of parts.I have seen some very fine and accurate pistols made from the norenco's.
Good luck on your project.
PS-I wish I had bought a 1/2 dozen of them when I could have gotten them for less then 150 each

I just finished a norinco and it shoots one ragged hole without tightening the slide! I kept the look of a ww-2 1911. Doing most of yourself will save you money, The frame, slide and trigger gaurd is smoothed up. I lowered and flared the ejection port, beveled the mag well, polished the ramp and all the insides as well. I put in a large trigger with stop and polished it, fitted a barrel, bushing, link, the full guide rod helped when it was stock so I left it in,(I like the weight up front). I changed all the springs and added hardball sights, wich I may change and have the slide doved for target sights now that it shoots so good. The rest is stock, It just needed a trigger job. And of course my friend polished and reblued it. It cost me about $750 gun included! It feels really good and is soft to shoot. I was going to make some more changes But when ever someone shoots it they say "don't touch it", "It's done" and they are 1911 guy's too! I wish I had more Norinco's! M-2

[Edited by M-2 on 01-03-2001 at 02:11 PM]

M2,
Very Very Nice!
Now I can't wait to get started.
Looks like a fine 45.
Thanks for sharing your work!
Mind if I show one of your pics on this post?

Feel free, I only like the bottom 4 pictures. My friends house was dim, hey mabe you can tell me how to do it. Thanks M-2

Also, the barrel is fitted and it is very tight, the trigger is perfect! It may look plain Jane but it is a sleeper.

M-2 pics

M-2,
Thanks for letting me show your photos.
View

View

View

Also, Here is the info on sticking a photo in post.
vB code is listed under Forum Rules at top or bottom of page. Click on it to get instructions.

Here's what they say under images:
Adding Images

To add a graphic within your message, just encase the URL of the graphic image as shown in the following example (vB Code is in red).

The link from you site

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1266583&a=9376333&p=30665562&Sequence=0&res=high

goes in between the image
blocks.

You get the photo info from your photo point site that you uploaded you pictures to.

I pulled this link from your site
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1266583&a=9376333&p=30665562&Sequence=0&res=high
Insert it between the image
blocks and post you should have a photo if the link is good.

Thanks!
Regards,

[Edited by rinoray on 01-03-2001 at 01:12 PM]

Back