non toxic 30-30 bullets?

Grant 14

Are there any non toxic bullets available for a tubular magazine 30-30? Local shops have nothing legal for hunting in Calif in 30-30. We cant mail order ammo anymore so reloading with non toxic (which is maybe not technically legal) may be the only solution. Any advice? Grant.

The point being hollow is no issue as long as it is as wide or wider than a large rifle primer (0.210"). This place claims to have a couple of boxes in stock as of this moment.

I tried some of the Hornday GMX in 30-06. Never did get a load worked up that was any good though I had limited range to work with as I was given them.

We cant mail order ammo anymore ..

You need to talk to your local shops. You can't mail order ammo anymore, but they can. Find a suitable load that meets CA legal restrictions and have them order some, for you. (and suggest that they get some for their shelf stock as well.

The way things are right now, will probably take some time, but I don't see a another CA legal way to do it.

IF suitable bullets are still allowed to to be direct shipped to you, order some and handload CA compliant ammo for yourself. IF not, going through the dealer with all the added costs and delays seems to be the only option.

It turns out that I was googling "non toxic" and finding little. When I switched to "lead free" I found several on Midway, but of course, every one of them was out of stock. I am going to find the local game warden and ask about hand loaded lead free ammo, since I believe that technically, it is supposed to be approved by Calif. I dont even know if you can tell by looking, if it is lead free or not. Game wardens seem to be more practical than the politicians that make up these laws. I will post again when I learn more. Thanks to all. Grant.

I did more reading on Midway and both the Barns Triple Shock and the Nosler E-tip say they are Calif compliant. Of course they are out of stock. Midsouth shows both of the bullets but doesnt even mention Calif. I doubt that it makes any difference. From previous reading on The Firing Line, I had thought that ammo had to be Calif compliant, but it appears that if the bullets are compliant, it should not matter. When I find out more, I will post again. Grant.

Back