Non semi auto 7.62x39 rifles?

TruthTellers

All I know of is the CZ 527. Are there any other 7.62x39 rifles out there that are not semi automatic? I don't care if they're single shots or lever, pump, bolt, etc, but I don't want the price to go more than $600. What are my options?

Aside from the old Ruger M77s that were discontinued a long time ago I have no idea of any other rifle chanbered in 7.63x39.

Pump and Levers run into the whole pointed bullet in a tube mess so I highly doubt there are any there, and if there are your choice in bullets is limited.

There may be some single shots, in fact I'd be more surprised if there weren't any, try looking at the Thomson Center single shot rifle line (Totally forgetting the name) they would likely be your best bet.

Savage and H&R

Savage made a small run of their scout rifle in the x39mm, about second generation, not the muzzlebrake/cheekrest version currently sold. H&R made some of their singleshot HandiRifles in the caliber as well.

MIght find an example of either on the used market.

beware h and r do not always hit the primers hard enough to fire on surplus ammo. not sure about others though. bob

The Australian M10A1 is a 5/8 scale MK4No1 sporter chambered in 7.62x39.
Takes AK magazines.
These were imported into Canada with teakwood stocks made in Vietnam
that kept the importation from including the US,
although a number of them did find their way South.

The one I have is a real pleasure. Relatively heavy with the teakwood,
but compact with the short barrel and flash hider.

Don't know about under 600 though, but who knows?

JT

Just curious but why no semi? It opens up a lot more options. The hard part to meet will be the $600 price limit.

@JT-AR-MG42 - That's a sweet rifle, wish I could find one. I caught my dad's love for the enfield rifles since he passed away and left me his Jungle Carbine. I like the 7.62 russian round, and have been trying to find an M10a1 but they are rare as hen's teeth here in the states. If you ever are in a weak moment and want to get rid of it please let me know.

Luke

In regards to the OP, the Howa mini action looks really promising, it has a lot going for it, that is where I would start if you have already written off the CZ. The CZ and Howa would be my two choice to look at of readily available bolt action 7.62 x 39.

The Australian M10A1 had no U.S. distributor due to the import ban caused by the Vietnamese stock wood. Reported to be out of business since 2011. Lot of very questionable business practices reported too.
I think you're pretty much limited to the stuff taylorce1 mentions if you want BNIB.

The Australian M10A1 is a 5/8 scale MK4No1 sporter chambered in 7.62x39.
Takes AK magazines.
These were imported into Canada with teakwood stocks made in Vietnam
that kept the importation from including the US,
although a number of them did find their way South.

The one I have is a real pleasure. Relatively heavy with the teakwood,
but compact with the short barrel and flash hider.

Don't know about under 600 though, but who knows?

JT

Now ain't that fun? Just googled it.

I wish someone would make one today. Either to take AK mags or SKS strippers, even both if that's technologically feasible.

David Fortier, of Firearm News, says the 7.62x39 Howa has a heavier barrel than the CZ 527; therefore...it's more stable while shooting offhand or in the standing position. I enjoy shooting my 527 {7.62x39} in the standing position, at steel targets; though the small Mauser bolt requires it to be vigorously worked, since it cocks with the bolt being opened --- Which makes the Howa a bit faster with it's bolt action.

Zastava mini mauser /Rem 799 extractors are weak and break if you shoot steel case ammo. Would be nice if someone make 7.62x39 barrels for Savage or Mossberg. ER Shaws made a batch at $149 sold at MidwayUSA long time ago!

Pump and Levers run into the whole pointed bullet in a tube mess so I highly doubt there are any there, and if there are your choice in bullets is limited.

Agreed, but...

I was hoping Browning might get into making an up-sized version of their old BPR .22 in the M43 round.
With 10 rd. mags, it would let you shoulder and pump it in a normal manner.

Down a notch in cost, maybe Kel-Tec would see the market for a similar
magazine fed pump carbine along the lines of their .223 semi.

JT

I never have any issue firing my CZ 527M off hand. Of course, the stock is slightly different than the factory original.

Love ringing steel with it.

(old photo of a 200 yard group with Berry's 125 grain plated bullet.)

Buds has the Howa Mini 7.62x39 for $490. I have the same gun in .223, and its excellent. The Mini comes with a 10 round detachable mag, and a great trigger.

FWIW, my CZ 527 is very, very accurate. With decent Hornady steel case ammo, that gun will give me 1 MOA groups if I give it half a chance. It's compact, handy, balances extremely well, looks amazing, and shoots plenty accurate.

Look no further :)

Back