Non-leather gun belt

Lohman446

Let me get it out of the way. I do respect the work of the leather crafters and have had several well made leather gun belts in the past. But I'm wanting to try one that is not leather and is still stiff enough to support a firearm well.

Anyone have any experience? I have seen mention of some of the nylon belts but the few I have do not seem to be anywhere near as stiff as a good leather belt.

I've been using the Wilderness Original Instructors Belts (5 stitch) for about 20 years, very happy with them. Can't speak to other brands as I haven't tried them. 1.5 inch width, 5 stitch, works fine for 1911 Gov't and lighter weapons. You may want to add stiffener for heavier guns.

I think the website is TheWilderness.ccom and Midway, for sure, sells them.

I like the Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt. The belt is stiff nylon like the standard model Instructor's belt, but the Delrin ring buckle is lighter and has no corners.

I think they're all made in China now. Stiffness is determined by how tightly woven it is and additional layers too. Just like leather -6, 8, or 10 oz ??One or two layers ?

i have an instructors belt that is perfect for carry, very stiff....i cant remember who makes it maybe it was an uncle mikes? Some of the wilderness belts are too thin so you have to be careful...if you have a store near by that sells 5.11 gear they make some belts that would work and you could try them on

I have a couple of nice leather belts that I like and I have two nylon 5.11 Tactical belts (1.5" Trainers) that have been my just about everyday belts. They've held up well and they work well, nice and stiff and they maintain their shape. My only issue with one of them (3 years old) is that the black finish on the buckle on the older one hasn't held up very well. I've had to touch it up where its scuffed or worn off with a fine point Sharpie. The nylon belts work better for me in hot sweaty Florida during the summer months as they dry out very quickly if they get wet as opposed to my leather belts that take a little while.

've been using the Wilderness Original Instructors Belts (5 stitch) for about 20 years, very happy with them. Can't speak to other brands as I haven't tried them. 1.5 inch width, 5 stitch, works fine for 1911 Gov't and lighter weapons. You may want to add stiffener for heavier guns.

I'm a leather guy myself, but this belt is the real deal. I bought mine a few months ago and I've been very impressed with the support it provides and, I hate to admit it, but this belt competes well against high end leather belts at half the cost.

i have one of the instructor belts,,,i think it is a blackhawk,,,it has the stiffener thing in it,,,,when i got it i didnt think i would like it but it turned into my everyday belt,,,and when it finally does bite,,, it i will get another one just like it,,,the stiffener for me works very well with a full size 1911,,,,

maybe the stiffener isnt for everybody but i love it,,,and i have several leather belts,,,,they hang in the gun rack

my .02

ocharry

I bought 5.11 TDU Double Duty 1.75" from Rescue Essentials for $15.50, just to see what it was like to wear a wide stiff belt. I don't have my CCW, yet, and my two holsters, so far, fit 1.5" belts. So, I don't know what it's like with a holstered gun, but it is the best belt I've ever worn. I wear it, nearly, every day and I can see why most say to get a real gun belt.

Back