Non-lead regulation clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

djonathang

Hello All (posted in the hunting section as well...sorry about the duplicate),

I live in California, and just received my deer tags for this season. Along with the tags came a notice about the ban on lead ammunition in the Condor area...

Much to my surprise, the language says, "...you will be required to use nonlead projectiles to hunt big-game and non-game species beginning July 1, 2008. In addition, while hunting these species in this area hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition."

Okay, I understand the nonlead part, but the firearm part has me lost. Does this mean it's only archery? Is it not true that any firearm can shoot lead or nonlead?

Anyone care to clarify.

Thanks.

DG

It says you can't possess lead ammo AND a firearm capable of firing that ammo while hunting. You can possess nonlead ammo and its firearm.

Tim

"So you could carry 22lr lead ammo if you were carrying only a 30-06 for example??"

That would be my take, yes.

Tim

Sad prediction:

This law may mean the extinction of the condor. :(

The way human nature works I'm going to make the prediction that they will start finding a lot of condors killed under mysterious circumstances over the next few years. People who used to practice 'live and let live' will be the ones doing the killing and their goal will be to wipe them out.

This happened in the deep south where we have a bird called the red cockaded woodpecker. They passed a law saying that loggers couldn't cut timber within a certain distance of these birds' nests we had a sharp decrease in their population due to deliberate killing. When faced with the proposition of losing millions of dollars worth of timber the landowners chose the route of declaring war on the birds rather than taking the time and money to vote out the politicians who made the law.

"The way human nature works I'm going to make the prediction that they will start finding a lot of condors killed under mysterious circumstances over the next few years."

You may be right, but just because I like to remain hopeful, I'm going to predict that you're wrong. I don't hunt any more, so I am a little out of touch, but the hunters and fishermen that I know around here (in California) are conservationists first and foremost and would never actively try to wipe out a species. That's one thing the anti-hunters have never figured out (or choose to ignore)--that serious and conscientious hunters work very hard to preserve the natural environment.

I'll bet if someone were seen taking potshots at condors he would be reported immediately, and most likely by another hunter. Don't even get me started on abalone poachers.

Tim

Tim I hope that I'm wrong too. Most of the hunters and fishermen are conservationists but we still see garbage left in the woods, fences cut and ATV ruts all through sensitive areas. My conjecture is that the ones poisoning condors will be either kids or that minority commonly called "poachers" or even misguided PETAphiles out to cast blame on hunters.

I'll bet if someone were seen taking potshots at condors he would be reported immediately, and most likely by another hunter. Don't even get me started on abalone poachers.

Even if a hunter or fisherman turns them in, those abalone/condors are still dead. I'm glad this thread popped up because I may get stationed back in northern CA next year and I was a little worried about being able to buy ammo.

This is more of a hunting thread than a L&P thread. Since the OP was posted first in The Hunt, I'm closing this duplicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back