Non LE service from H&K

saands

I logged on tonight to praise H&K's service. My compact threw the spring clip that holds the recoil spring on the guide rod yesterday. The gun continued to function without ANY issues, but the spring came off of the rod when I stripped it for cleaning.

I had heard horror stories about how H&K treats their non-LE customers, but I called the number in the manual anyway and was polite to the gentleman who answered almost immediately. He didn't even let me finish telling my story ... as soon as he heard that the clip had failed, he went straight to my address. I asked him if this was a common failure after only 1500 rounds. He said that it can happen if you shoot hot loads ... I shoot real .40 loads ... not over pressure ... but not too many "target" loads. I asked him if he could send two clips and he said "We'll take care of you ... that's what I want you to know. You have a good day." I hung up happy to have purchased an HK.

I only post this because I have heard a lot of people bad mouth their service to their private sector customers. It wasn't my experience at all!

Great info, thanks... Too bad a fellow in a gunshop the other weekend was talked out of a USP by an employee there...

"Well, HKs are military weapons, and if you aren't military or LE and have a problem with your pistol, forget about it. They take care of everyone but the civilians first - minimum of 2 months for any service."

Well, it wasn't my shop and I wasn't asked, so I kept quiet...

To me, HK is like Toyota. They sell a great product at a reasonable price, and service is known to be poor. However, I work on my own rigs, and I own all toyotas because they last forever and don't break down in the middle of nowhere. I don't work on my own guns (never had to, but I'm new to guns), but I bought my USPc45 because it's a solid firearm, not because of a good service reputation.

keltec has a reputation for good service, but I would prefer that they build a good product that doesn't need so much fixing. I guess that's the difference between a $240 P11 and a $600 USPc45 :).

I've own several P7s and shot tons of USPs and have never had a problem with HK's service. I can, they answer the phone, give me technical information, and ship me freebies and parts.

I just goes to show that too many gun store employees don't know SHIP about the guns they sell. I never deal with commissioned employees because if Ruger offers a sales blitz, they push the 10/22s and P-series. If SW spliffs the sale people, its the Chief's Special that is the gun to own.

The best thing to do is shoot at the range and ask the guy with the gun in his hand would he buy another - then take notes.

Anyway, I have gotten great customer service from HK, Glock, Kel Tec, and Marlin. Glock even sent me a grab bag full of goodies, patches, stickers, and the parts I needed.

I broke my USPc .45 firing pin spring- it was replaced within 2 weeks and I got a set of tritium night sights for my trouble (of course, I did ask for them :)).

Hmm, I also lost my firing pin c clip- I figured that since the gun worked fine without it, I didn't need to buy another- but since they send them out gratis, I may take them up on the offer.

Their service is tops in my book- but then again I've been done right by Kimber as well. :o

I too have had very good service from H&K. Quick response, free parts, curteous customer service, etc. I've never figured out why people have a hard time with them.

I once called and asked for a shorter front sight blade for a USP compact in .40 S&W and got the thing three days later. That's pretty good service in my book.

Shake

I just ordered a gas port reamer, a firing pin tool, and an owner's manual for the PSP that I bought used. I fully expected to have to pay for the tools, but the rep said that there would be NO CHARGE.:)

I had sent my P7 to HK for repairs once. Not only they replaced broken drop safety, but thet replaces all the springs, trigger, ckocking lever and grip screws. They charged me $0,000 and I had my gun back within a weak.
When I called them to find out if they recieved the gun, they put me through directly to the tech who was working on my gun!

I wrote them a nice letter on my dept. letterhead (Dept of Molecular and Cellular Biology at Harvard med school).
LOL, I bet they were wondering what the hell P7s are used for there.... :)

Back