Non-gun. Please email me if you have advice on a best value digital camera.

Futo Inu

If you've purchased or are knowledgeable about digital cameras - the best value under $300, please email me. Thanks very much.

Thanks all.

But specifically, I want to know if any of the digital cameras available use an LS120 ("super 120") disk rather than a standard 1.44 meg disk? I have an LS120 on my 'puter. You know, it reads the 1.44 mb disks AND standard 120 mg disks (same size, just 83 times). We have had this technology for a few years now. Surely SOMEONE offers such a camera. Or if not, is there a camera that uses ANY kind of high-volume compressed data disk, like ZIP or something else?

Good thread - we need more digital cameras in this crowd!

But this is a GEAR issue I would say:
Moving to GEAR!

------------------
You might laugh in the face of FEAR... but unless your armed, its a nervous, unconvincing, little laugh.

This is a tad more expensive than $300 (about $300 more expensive! :D ) but I've had great results with the Kodak DC 290

Whichever model you get, for the love of god, stay away from a company called BESTSTOPDIGITAL - they may have cheap prices but horrible service, the salesmen lie to you over the phone, and they take about a month to give refunds! Horrible, horrible, horrible, and my experiences match about a hundred others I learned to my horror.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

The Panasonic PV-SD4090 SuperDisk PalmCam has a 0.37" CCD imager with over 1.3 million pixels that captures 1,280 x 960
pixel images. Recording options include still images, still images with 5 seconds of audio, 10-second 320x240 QuickTime
movies with sound or bursts of up to sixteen 640x480 images at 0.5 second intervals.

What really sets this camera apart from the others is the storage media. The SD4090 uses 120MB SuperDisk diskettes or regular
1.44MB diskettes. Up to 1,500 images can be recorded and stored on $10 SuperDisk diskettes. For the ultimate in image
portability you can use standard 3-1/2 inch floppy diskettes, just pop them into any PC's floppy drive and read in your pictures.

Camera to computer connection requires a PC with USB port and Microsoft® Windows® 98 or iMac® or Power Macintosh G3 with
USB port and Mac OS version 8.1 or later.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/sd4090.html

$ 799.00

Cool, dz. $800 -yikes. But I don't need any connection at all, USB or otherwise, do I, if I have an LS120 drive? Just switch the disk from camera to computer, right?

Futo, you are correct. If you have the drive you don't need the connection, but I think the connections comes included with the camera. The camera works great. The price make you go "yikes", but the ease of use and the quality of pictures makes you go :D

-sarah

Sony Mavica: takes regular old floppy disks, saves in .jpg format so they can be open with a PC or MAC, great lithium ion battery (rechargeable), only problem its over $300.00
Ive had one for a couple of years, and I love it. For examples of the picture quality go to: www.revelationarms.com and click on the link for the Albany Gun Shoot.

I've owned two Olympus digital cameras, so far, and I been EXTREMELY satisfied with both. The pictures are crisp, the colors saturated, the cameras easy to use.

I've compared my pics to some of those from other digital camera owners, and, IMHO, mine are significantly better.

Olympus uses Superdisk memory cards.., no floppies. You have to transfer your pics to the computer via serial cable.

Considering, though, the pics of a 1280x1040 camera run about 170K each, you'll only get 7-8 pics on a disk (and that's with "high quality" resolution.., if you want "super quality", you'll get only 1-2 pics per disk).

I don't think any cameras use the LS-120 disks.

Back