non-9mm military duty pistols

simonrichter

apart from the Chinese, are there any other armed forces which use another caliber than 9mm in their standard duty sidearm? (I'm not talking about SF who can - at least in many cases - anyway pick any gun of their choice... Regular army / air force / navy units that employ non-9mm sidearms...

North Korea still uses 7.62x25 in a copy of the Tokarev IIRC. Russia and several other former Warsaw Pact countries still use 9x18 Makarov.

I thought that some South American militaries and police agencies may still use Bersa Thunders as their primary sidearm, so I wikipediad it:

"A number of military and law enforcement forces have included Bersa 380s in their inventory, including the Ecuadorian Air Force."

I was in a in a SIG class with a Coast Guard armorer several years ago, and was surprised to learn the CG was issuing SIGs in .40 S&W. I don't know if that is still the case.

North Korea still uses 7.62x25 in a copy of the Tokarev IIRC. Russia and several other former Warsaw Pact countries still use 9x18 Makarov.
I understand North Korea is still sticking with the Tok, but regarding Russia etc-

I thought they transistioned over to the Grach, in 9x19 (with a different load than Western 9mm). The Makarovs are getting phased out, same with the former Warsaw Pact countries, everyone is MOVING to 9mm.

10mm Gen4 Glock 20.

Issued duty sidearm of Demark's Sledge Patrol Sirius units who patrol the arctic regions of Greenland.

It's carried in case of a surprise Polar bear attack when their issued rifle, the .30-06 1917, isn't within reach.

Back