Noise 45 colt lever action

mickb

Inactive
Hi fellas, looking at maybe getting a lever gun in the calibre, have not owned one before. Aim is to run subsonic cast loads in it, 5-7 grains powder. I guess these might be similar to cowboy action loads. Was wondering what the sound signature is like? I got a 28" barrel 410 shotgun and wondered if it would be similar level? Someone here said more like a 22mag. Anyone here run a 45?

P.S to the guy who is about to reply that 'it doesn't matter you will need hearing protection anyway' ;) the reason is obtrusiveness to local farms near where I shoot.

I have a pump action .45 colt and I run 200 grain cowboy action loads and they’re certainly subsonic, about 900 FPS. It’s not super loud like a 5.56 or a hot .357 but it’s still got a decent report to it. The nice thing is there’s not a lot of recoils to a full size rifle and pretty mild ammo.

I have /shoot a Henry in .45 Colt. 250gr LRNFP[coated], 8.0gr Unique, 7.5gr will work also. Sub-sonic. Like deadcoyote mentions, there is a report, not bad at all. Very mild to shoot. You should be good.

deadcoyote, what's your pump .45 Colt?

It's going to sound like a .45 Colt out of a longish barrel no matter how you load it. I'd be guessing any local farmers won't be bothered by it.

I lucked into a refurbished Taurus “C-45”, which was their clone of the colt lightning. I did a lot of research and didn’t want to roll the dice on one, even though at 6-700$ they’re considerably cheaper than other offers. I had read on the web-r-nets that if you could find one tagged as refurbished by Taurus it would run well, and I happened to find one in like new condition, still in the Taurus refurbished marked box, for $285 at a pawn shop.

25” barrel, 15+1 in the tube mag, and no dear disconnect so if you are so inclined you can hold the trigger and it’ll fire every time it goes back into battery.

I'm going to guess 5-7 grains of Unique? I run a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited and its really fun to shoot.

That was a great price, I would get one at that price.:D

It's going to sound like a .45 Colt out of a longish barrel no matter how you load it. I'd be guessing any local farmers won't be bothered by it.
You dont know the local farmers here. :)

But I have a plan anyway, found a local cowboy action bunch, I'll tag along and learn something.

RifleTom and Deadcoyote, thanks btw!

Well I attended the meet. Was expecting the blast of a 410 shotgun, but pleasantly suprized, the 40 cal" lever actions with 18-20" barrels were a lot quieter than expected. One I was listening to without ear protection(from 40 yards away) just to gauge it and it wasn much louder than the ring of bullet on the steel. I honestly think a 22WMR from a bolt action would be more intrusive. I asked two competitors what they were loading and the reply was 4.5-4.7 grain clays over 180-200 grain bullets in a 44mag and 45. Minimum loads right out of hodgons online data by the sounds.

I shoot cowboy action. Although I always wear plugs the noise level is relatively low.

A couple of years later I attended a local Three Gun match. The pistols were louder. The shotguns were louder and the rifles, mostly ARe with muzzle brakes, were much louder.

Everything with a muzzle velocity below approx. 1100fps is going to be subsonic.

Cowboy action shooters tend to use the lightest loads possible to play their game. Light loads of fast powder fired from long (carbine) barrels gives the mildest report. A "pop" not a BANG or a KA-BLAM.

Cowboy Action ammo is good for playing that game, might be ok for small critters at barnyard ranges, not much good for more than that, except a source of brass...in my opinion. :rolleyes:

3 grains Bullseye under a .454" round ball seated deep in the case is extremely quiet and accurate out to 50 yards. Single load of course, but super fun.

Back