Noble shotgun part ID and purpose

greenberg86

Inactive
Just got a Noble model 56J 12ga. every thing works. I need to identify a part. On the side of the trigger assembly housing there is a adjustment screw. Turn it all the way to the left, the trigger will not release the hammer, turn all the way right the trigger releases the hammer. Can anyone tell me the correct name for this part or option? Second the part that holds it in the housing is a brass ring or cap of some type. I removed cause it was all bent up with sharp edges. Can anyone also Id the part? I can't seem to find either part on any parts list or schematic drawing I've found.. Thanks and have a great holiday to all! :)

The diagram I have doesn't seem to show anything like that, so maybe you have a different model. Noble was known for changing things without too much regard for interchangeability with previous guns, and they were so cheap and so often gave trouble that many owners or gunsmiths tinkered with them.

I worked on quite a few Nobles, but don't recall anything like you describe. It sounds like a trigger stop of some kind, but those are uncommon on shotguns, so I think it is just a screw to hold something (lifter, maybe) and if screwed down all the way interferes with the trigger or sear. The ring may be a means of keeping it from turning.

If the screw has to be locked, staking it or using a thread blocker (Loc-Tite) may be a better way than a brass cap.

Jiim

noble

I don't know but the safety is on top of the receiver like on a Mossberg 500. Someone on another forum mentioned the term trigger backlash adjustment. Ever hear of that?? :confused::confused:

Yes; backlash is the movement of the trigger after it releases the sear; the extra movement can be detrimental to accuracy. A backlash block, also called a trigger stop, is a part designed to prevent excess backlash; it is usually adjustable, though sometimes set at the factory. Common in target handguns and rifles, it is not common on shotguns. (S&W fans might remember trigger stops in the K series target revolvers; they have been replaced by a stop inside the rebound spring.)

Since adjusting the stop can keep the gun from firing (as the OP says), the cap was probably intended to keep owners from messing with the factory setting.

Jim

Back