No way this primer is real!?

Ike Clanton

A friend of mine found this round behind one of his safes in his fathers old shop. The primer appears to be melted lead? Anyone wanna test fire it to let me know if it works!?

Attachments

• 8742CD28-217B-4E6A-B573-FCB837AD8734.jpeg
    8742CD28-217B-4E6A-B573-FCB837AD8734.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 374
  • E8DBACE4-0011-41C8-A04F-FBE93C2B5488.jpeg
    E8DBACE4-0011-41C8-A04F-FBE93C2B5488.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 299
I've done it, too many times. I've also put one in upside down. It was fun trying to press the upside down primer out. I wore ear plugs and an electricians arc flash blast shield when I pressed it out. It did not go bang, luckily.

I have done that, as well. My straight wall case press is a Dillon and I've always stayed with CCI primers. 'Cept, as everybody knows, primers are in short supply so, I bought some Remington primers. And, I've gotten some "tipped" primers. Plus primers not feeding into to shellholder.

Sure enough, from the Dillon website:
the dimensional variations on most brands of primer have increased

Which, is to say, tolerances have gotten sloppier on "most" brands.

Ike - did your friend look for a dent in the wall just above the safe? I can see the father throwing the round away after seeing what he did.

By the way, sorry to hear about your brother Billy. I guess he messed with the wrong men.

;)

I've made a few of these treasures myself. As opposed to a backwards primer, these cannot be salvaged...at least not by me. I set one off trying, and no longer attempt it. Interesting, it's only happened to me when priming on the press...never when hand priming.

I've done a few sideways, but never completely backwards, yet anyways. I've also been successful in removing those sideways primer, carefully, but successful. If I get more than normal resistance when seating a primer, I try and stop in time before it's all messed up and have to deal with the issue.

Here's an example of why I prefer to seat primers by hand away from the bench.

Not because this hasn't happened to me with my Lyman hand primer, as it has - very rarely, but it has. But because my process of looking over the case and the primer seating before the shell goes into the press to be charged & loaded would catch the issue if I hadn't already caught it whilst priming.

If this had happened on my turret press, there is a greater chance I might not have noticed the problem.

Quality of process over speed & output quantity.

I too prefer hand priming off the press, but I’ve never had a problem with the Lee Classic cast turret. The primer ram is very visible so it’s easy to check that the primer is in the cup correctly. As an extra precaution when I remove the loaded round I always do a quick visual check of the primer before tossing it in the bin. I check it to make sure I did put a primer in, and that it’s not seated high.

The reason it's behind the safe is the maker was disgusted with himself and tossed it. In 15 years of handloading, I haven't done it YET, but I try to be quite careful using my RCBS Universal Priming Tool, love that thing. I load small amounts at a time, 50, maybe 100 rounds.

Primers can't be seated sideways . I mean who would be so unaware of what they were doing to seat primers sideways ? :rolleyes:

LGZW77.jpg

Never mind :o

I try to be quite careful using my RCBS Universal Priming Tool, love that thing.

I took that picture to show my avg failure rate of my Hornady hand primer , THAT THING SUCKED !!!! With my big gorilla hands half the time I couldn't tell if they were hard to seat or going in sideways . The problem with the Hornady design was once the primer is started there's no getting the case out until it's fully seated . Even if I thought they were sideways I had to keep going to get the case out .

I since bought two RCBS universal hand primers keeping each one dedicated to large or small primers and love them .

Last edited:
Back