No range report

salvadore

Recieved my 1858 36 calibre revolver yesterday, no mention of Navy on the box. It appears Midway gets this shooter from Taylor's & Co. Fit and finish are excellent and the timing couldn't get any better. The only thing that may cause a problem is a .004 cylinder gap. The weather is cold snow wind etc. so getting to the range may take a while (next spiring?). I've got bunches of Lee conicals cast up and hope to get good results. Oh yeah, the cylinder locks up with no movement.

Oh I get what you're saying Mr. Dragoon, I was thinking the tighter the gap the sooner binding would take place. I remember reading that the Schofield copies didn't handle BP loads very well because of a small cylinder gap. Thanks for clearing that up, it's nice to have a real GSmith on this forum (checked out your goon gunworks page).

.006-.008 is considered optimum but most of mine have been .003 and I haven't had any real problems with binding.

Hawgie, you callin Mr. Dragoon a liar? That's a joke Hawgie. I need to discuss a Pocket Navy with Mr. Dragoon, it's the purtiest c&b shooter I own. Unfortunately it has a few problems, including a ginormous cylinder gap.

BTW Hawgie, you have any suggestions or insights shooting Lee conicals in my new '58 Navy?

No, he's not callin me a liar. We just differ on the gap thing and that's OK. I have been setting gaps on open tops in the .002-.0025 range for some time now with excellent results in the area of cylinders binding. Many instances of 100+ shots fired with no cleaning and no binding. I never got that when I shot bp in mine that had big gaps. The whole idea is " if it can't out"( between the cyl./barrel) "it can't get in" (in between the cyl. and arbor) and it'll go down the barrel like it's supposed to. I think the "optimum" thing is for manufacturing. It takes time to get one from .009 down to .002!! Most manufacturers can't spend the time but individuals can and Freedom Arms can (of course you pay for it too). I'm a big believer of close tolerances not allowing parts to beat each other up (comes from shop /airplane work). So thats where I'm comming from and so far folks seem to be happy. Long as they're happy - I'm happy.

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

It's a Pietta.... my first one. It has seen many years of full power loads. I suppose with a little machine work on the lower barrel lug and some tweaking of the arbor/wedge it might tighten up a bit... but I have retired it out of sentimental value. All the internals are worn to limits too. It was a good 'un though! :)

Hawgie, you callin Mr. Dragoon a liar?

No sir. The man knows what he's talking about. I may not agree with him on some points but he gets nothing but the highest praises from folks that have had him work on their guns and he has worked on a lot of them.

BTW Hawgie, you have any suggestions or insights shooting Lee conicals in my new '58 Navy?

You may have to do some trimming on the loading window to be able to get them to fit. Due to the extra weight they do shoot higher and in my experience they're not quite as accurate as round balls;

Thanks Hawgie, you just cost me $120, and thanks for the 58 Navy insight

Glad to help you spend your money.:D

Thanks for the kind words Hawg!!

You earned them. I know you've done a lot of work for some of the guys on the Gulch and I've never heard anyone say anything negative about any of it. Actually sometimes I think they're on the Goons payroll they brag so much.:D

Back