• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

No quotes?

Danny45

How come I can't quote someone else's post in my replies to posts? Is there a setting that I'm missing? Was there a problem in the past? What gives?

It would really help to be able to answer someone on a thread, especially if there are numerous posts after theirs, if you could quote their post in your reply.

Thanks. :D

Copy and paste the text, select the text you just pasted that you want quoted then click the
quote.gif
button at the top of the message box.

Alternatively, you can use quote /quote at each end of the text you are quoting. Use brackets, [ ], around "quote" and "/quote"...

Mods took off the auto quote buttons long ago because they were over used and ofter confused posts with all the text flying around...

using the [quote] sign then the [/quote] after it will gift you with the quote box, but like he said above, you gotta cut & paste.

Mods took off the auto quote buttons long ago because they were over used and ofter confused posts with all the text flying around...

using the sign [quote] then the [/quote] after it will gift you with the quote box, but like he said above, you gotta cut & paste.

Thanks!

As stated, the quote function was abused: People would quote an entire post and then comment on a small portion of the quoted material; Quote an entire post and make a single sentence in response; Or they would simply say "+1," etc.

Danny, if you really want to quote, read this thread.

The next step in quoting is to use the person's handle in the quote.
After performing the quote transfer during your posting, you can copy and paste the handle right after the the first worded quote. Be sure the handle is right after "quote", but before the bracket. Then, insert the "=" sign betweent the word quote and the person's handle. When you submit your post, the program will automatically insert the format. It should look like this:

Danny45 said:
I think I'll leave it alone.

It's really a headache saver because even though you know who you quoted, others still have to sift through the posts to see who said it. It's almost a waste of time if you don't.

Well, when you get 7 pages worth of posts and someone quotes without referring the member, let me know which is more of a pain to do: Find the person whom quoted it, or three extra seconds to credit the quote to the name.:rolleyes:

Tuttle8 said:
or three extra seconds to credit the quote to the name.
Or didn't ever figure out how folks did that and never bothered to ask:o
Like me...
Brent

Last edited:
Tuttle8 said:
It's really a headache saver because even though you know who you quoted, others still have to sift through the posts to see who said it. It's almost a waste of time if you don't.

I think I have it now.

Back