• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

No quote feature?

GUTTERbOY

Inactive
On the other forums I frequent, in each post there is button which automatically lets you reply with that particular post's text displayed as a quote. Now, I can copy-paste and manually stick it in the
tags, but it's easier and nicer with the button to use, especially since it usually includes the name of the quoted individual. I find that quoting makes it easier to respond to cetain points in a discussion.

Is there actually a button for that here that I'm not seeing? If not could this feature be enabled?

Thanks for the time- good to see TFL back up again. This place is responsible for a large portion of my firearms education.

I hang out on a board that uses it, and it's gaggingly common to have someone hit the quote button on a looooooonnng post just to add one comment.

Usually a "me too!". :barf:

I'm glad it's not used here, though I do appreciate it's usefulness. But you can do the same thing with just a few steps. Just highlight the post, hit "Reply", paste it in, then, while it's still hightlighted, hit the "Quote" button. (THat's the text box looking thingy - the rightmost of the formatting buttons if you are in Enhanced mode.

Now please edit the quote so you are only responding to the salient points!

All excellent points, I must admit. I didn't even think of it beyond my own inconvenience, you know, having to CTRL-C and CTRL-V and such... way too much work! :)

Good to go!

GUTTERbOY said:
especially since it usually includes the name of the quoted individual.

You can add the name of the quoted member by making your first quote look like this: {quote=GUTTERbOY} and it'll look just like it does above.

GUTTERbOY said:
especially since it usually includes the name of the quoted individual. .

TheBluesMan said:
You can add the name of the quoted member by making your first quote look like this: {quote=GUTTERbOY} and it'll look just like it does above.

Which is especially helpful if you are quoting several people so you can tell them ALL why they're wrong! :D

Quartus said:
I hang out on a board that uses it, and it's gaggingly common to have someone hit the quote button on a looooooonnng post just to add one comment.

Usually a "me too!". :barf:

I'm glad it's not used here, though I do appreciate it's usefulness. But you can do the same thing with just a few steps. Just highlight the post, hit "Reply", paste it in, then, while it's still hightlighted, hit the "Quote" button. (THat's the text box looking thingy - the rightmost of the formatting buttons if you are in Enhanced mode.

Now please edit the quote so you are only responding to the salient points!

Me too!

naanaa.gif

:D

Back