No more heat lamp for me!

Beagle333

I got this nifty new heater base, made by Sweetpea (he makes em on another forum) and he drilled it for my Star and my two Lymans. :D
feb21002_zps445d42b3.jpg

And I found this handy heater cartridge on Fleabay (100W) that is same size as hole he put in there.
feb21003_zps61e50127.jpg

And I think it's gonna be just great!
feb21004_zpsf9f2affb.jpg

Now I just epoxy this thermocouple to the base with a glob of JB-Weld and my PID will keep this base within 1 degree of whatever temp I find works best with the lube I'm using that day. :)
feb21005_zps31933e33.jpg

(and no, the coated ones aren't going through the sizer.... they're just on the table because I was installing plain base checks on some of em when I got the base and heater cartridge in the mail today and I stopped to play with that before clearing off the table!)

Hey now, you don't need that ol nasty loob goob stuff anymore, your just putting wear and tear on that old vintage machine there I offered to buy from ya. I guess I could toss in another $20 for the heater as well since you already have it and won't be needing it with that PC stuff.

Lets see now, what are we up to now, here is what I came up with before,

I'll give ya $20 for it over what scrap is going for, when your ready to shuck it.

Tell ya what, I can even do better, go ahead and purge it with some CR and I will just go ahead and give ya $50 for it now and I will even pay the shippin...Now even you know thats a hard deal to pass up.....

Tell ya what, since we're so close I'll go ahead and make it an even hundred, that should cover what ever dies you have for it as well. With all those 6yrs worth of bullets you ran through it the first week you had it, they are probably all worn out anyway.:eek:

:D:D Ya know you want to. Just look at all that room it will free up for taking pictures of all those pretty PC bullets....;)

Well it sounded good in my head anyway....:D

YA know Your a great fellow and I truly enjoy yanking your chain. It is probably a good thing for the both of us that we live 18 or so hours apart, I don't think our better halves would appreciate it much if we could actually get together on the weekends.....:D

Does sweetpea = frozone?

I bought a PID controller from frozone on cast-boolets a couple of months ago and it looks exactly like yours. Works great for controlling the temp of a casting melter.

Help me out, it look like you have a bunch of powder coated bullets with gaschecks. Are you running them through your luber.

I have been powder coating cast bullets and do not gas check or lube them. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Beagle has those poured out of some softer alloy, IIRC, the checks are just there to support the bases.

Actually he has taken so many pictures of them, every time he gets the camera out, all those PC bullets just gather round.:D

Looking at your setup, did you buy that lead that short or did you just cut it off?

The one I have has the 1/4-20 threaded nut on it and fit perfectly in one corner. I did have to add a setscrew to plug the bottom of the hole.

Last edited:
From post #1:
(and no, the coated ones aren't going through the sizer.... they're just on the table because I was installing plain base checks on some of em when I got the base and heater cartridge in the mail today and I stopped to play with that before clearing off the table!)
Sweetpea isn't Frozone. He's just some guy with a drill press on CB forum. Fro got banned and isn't selling there anymore, but that is one of his units. :D

@Mike
I bought that thermocouple that short. It's not one of the screw-in types. It's one of the JB-Weld-on types. ;)

(or if you meant for the heater cartridge, it just came that short. I added about 4' of cord to it, from a defunct coffeemaker.)

And it is working perfectly! I lubed a big ol' pile of 358156's last night. :)

Back