No handcuffs + service weapon =

If you are just questioning a suspect and they are not technically under arrest, you cannot handcuff them. Generally you are questioning them in order to get enough probable cause to link them to a crime thus allowing an arrest.

0_22_041805_detective_slain.jpg

This is a photo of the suspect after he was taken into custody for murdering the Detective (his 1st appearance since the murder)

Seems to me that if a murder suspect is being interviewed behind closed doors there ought to be two or more able people present. Terrible that it cost him his life, but I would have thought that a 27 year vet would be smarter than this.

Don't forget this guy dove through a window......on the 3rd floor........an still made it several blocks where he was still able to resist arrest violently. The window dive/ground flop did the lion's share of damage.

This is more of an issue of weapons retention. I almost always kept my gun on during interviews, in case it might be needed. I also accepted that hanging onto it was my responsibility.

Trying to interview someone in cuffs is generally counterproductive and makes it very difficult to establish rapport. It also makes its well nigh impossible to discern the non-verbal behavior of the subject, which is critical in spotting deception and inaccuracy.

If it were me personally, I would have my gun concealed while interogatting a suspect. I still can't believe that fool fool jumped from the 3rd floor! hahaha! I feel the least bit sorry for his pathetic ass!

In my dept we have a policy that if you are in a interview room with anybody,suspects,victims or witnesess your firearm has to be locked away.

Remember "Detective Story" with I think it was it Kirk Douglas, every time the detectives would take someone out of the cage to interview them, they'd take their det. specials out of the holster and slip it into their pants pocket.....I used to do that....

The suspect should have been patted down prior to coming into the office and the detectives weapon should have been locked up. That is precisely why those types of policies exist. However, that does not make this event any less tragic for this officer and his family. It seems as though everyone is Monday morning quartbacking a tragedy, but we must heed the lessons learned from the mistakes of others in order to develope policies and strategies that ultimately protect officers lives. I wish for a successful prosecution that will hopefully put a needle in this perps arm.

I think that the fact that the suspect is able to breathe, eat, and is even alive is a valiant and profound testimony to and for those who apprehended him.

May God bless,
Dwight

Have you guys seen the video of the suspect who shot the police officer and committed suicide with his own gun in the interrogation room? Sometimes the bad guys don't even have to use the officer's gun. You can find that video and details on the story here.

I think there was a thread on it a while back. Thank god he took his own life, and not the officer's.

As I understnd it, he's in the mask because he was spitting and biting. If he really did what he's accused of, I'd say the officers showed admirable restraint in dealing with him.

Back