No Dash Model 10 Snubbie

lamarw

Serial number indicated this one was made in 1960. Back strap is marked P.D. Montgomery. I acquired it from a gun store in Montgomery where it was on consignment. On the right side under the cylinder, it is marked 174. I suspect this was a rack number or some other form of police identification.

Certainly shows some use or holster wear. The forcing cone and rifling give indications of minimum firing. Mechanically, the old revolver is perfection with a great trigger in both single and double action.

Attachments

• Model 10 No Dash.jpg
    Model 10 No Dash.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 119
Additional Attachment.

Attachments

• Model 10 No Dash A.jpg
    Model 10 No Dash A.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Model 10 No Dash B.jpg
    Model 10 No Dash B.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
love the k frame

Im very fond of short barreled k frames. That is a very nice find you have there. Love those diamond magnas, do they number to the gun?

Great old gun. Love those diamond Magna's.

I've got a 4" from the same time period. S/N also indicates 1960. This one was, my guess, a "sock drawer" gun. Almost pristine, except for a few places where rust and pitting got to it. I suspect it was purchased, went into a sock drawer, and maybe never fired. There is very little turn line, and until I fired it not long ago, not a scratch on the recoil shield.

I've replaced the diamond Magna's with a set of Pachmayr Grippers I had around and the Magna's are in safekeeping. They do number to the gun.

lamarw, nice old revolver, I really like old working guns. If it does not have a revision/dash number it had to be made well before 1960.

Added:

Here is a list of revision/dash numbers with the change dates.

S&W Model 10's Variant Matrix

Model: Year: -- Design/Engineering Changes: -- Frame Screws:
10 ----- 1957 -- Start of Model Numbering / Tapered Barrel -- 4 Screw
10-1 --- 1959 -- Introduction of Heavy Barrel -- 4 Screw
10-2 --- 1961 -- Internal Engineering Changes on Tapered Barrel Version -- 4 Screw
10-3 --- 1961 -- Int. Eng. And Sight Change on Heavy Barrel Version -- 4 Screw
10-4 --- 1962 -- Eliminated Trigger Guard Screw on Tapered Barrel Version -- 3 Screw
10-5 --- 1962 -- Rear Sight Change on Tapered Barrel Version -- 3 Screw
10-6 --- 1962 -- Eliminated Trigger Guard Screw on Heavy Barrel Version -- 3 Screw
10-7 --- 1977 -- Gas Ring Change on Tapered Barrel Version -- 3 Screw
10-8 --- 1977 -- Gas Ring Change on Heavy Barrel Version -- 3 Screw
10-9 --- 1988 -- Yoke Change/Floating Firing Pin Change on Tapered Barrel -- 3 Screw
10-10 -- 1988 -- Yoke Change/Floating Firing Pin Change on Heavy Barrel -- 3 Screw
10-11 -- 1997 -- Int. Eng. and Frame Change/MIM Hammer on Tapered Barrel Version -- 3 Screw
10-12 -- 1997 -- Int. Eng. and Frame Change/MIM Hammer on Heavy Barrel Version -- 3 Screw
10-13 -- 2002 -- 1899 100th Year Anniversary Commemorative -- 3 Screw
10-14 -- 2002 -- Introduction of Internal Key Lock / Heavy Barrel Only -- 3 Screw

Last edited:
old bear,

Some of the dash numbers were specific to a variation and ran concurrently with other dash numbers. The 10 no dash ran till 1961.

Jim

Jim, thank you for the education, learn something new every day.

I was also thinking that S&W maintained shipping records, and it was not uncommon for a revolver to sit in the vault for sometime before it was shipped.

Fred

Thank You All for the comments.

Jim Layton is correct and it is a No Dash and manufactured in 1960.
Attached is a picture of yoke marking.

Also attached is a picture of the inside of the right grip/stock panel and the butt of the revolver showing matching serial numbers.

Jim Watson, You very well could be correct, and it is a former Desk Sgt.'s revolver. I envisioned it as a Detective's firearm in a shoulder harness holster. Seems more romantic with all the recent TV shows. :)

Attachments

• Pic of MOD 10.jpg
    Pic of MOD 10.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Pic of SN Match.jpg
    Pic of SN Match.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 28
Back