No CCW in Wisconsin

Cremon

:mad: If you look at the CCW map here - http://usacarry.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=38 - it shows two states (and two commonwealth territories) that do not issue conceal weapons permits AT ALL. Maybe that contributed to this tragedy - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300003,00.html

Now it is a terrible tragedy - I am not blaming any one group - but no one in those towns is armed except for the police for the most part. The police are not there to stop crime - they investigate it after it happens. But this story is of trust gone horribly wrong. A sheriff's deputy committed those murders. Such a thing is VERY rare and I am a strong police advocate. This guy was NOT in uniform, thankfully.

But Wisconsin needs to rethink its second amendment constitutional violation. You should NOT deny a citizen's right to defend him/herself.

I hear ya' because I live here.

The first real move must be to unseat Governor Jim Doyle. He has stated that he will veto all CCW bills that come to him.

I don't see an override coming, although several Democrats already have voted for CCW.

A friend of mine just moved there with his wife. I wasn't happy to see them move away. I keep reminding him about the restrictive gun laws there to give him a hard time. He claims the law there states he can carry a gun out in the open - he just can't conceal it. What good is that? Walk around with a gun in a holster saloon style? The police will stop you at every corner. Stores in shopping centers won't allow you to go inside. Heck ALL states will let you carry in the open - you just can't go anywhere.

This particular tragedy seems to have involved virtually only kids less than 21 year olds. Even the deputy was under 21. Even with a decent CCW law chances are no one there would have been able to carry.

And if they had their CCW, since it was obviously a drinking party among friends who would have had a gun on them?

Y'all should definitely get rid of Doyle and get a good CCW law, but unfortunately it probably wouldn't have helped in this case.

Cremon said:
you just can't go anywhere.

Not always true. Last week a guy walked through Gander Mountain with a gun on one of those velcro 'tactical belts' and no one said a word. There was one thing I noticed, and that was there was no badge present.

He was wearing a geeky shirt, Dockers and soft hush-puppy style shoes. Unless he was carrying open or from an armed security company he was no cop.

Now granted, Gander is not the kind of place where guns scare people. Last week I bought a new pistol and we handed it around like vacation pictures. Rather than leave it in my truck I set it next to my sharpening crap and even customers looked at it.

The problem as I see it is simply hoplophobes. In a perfect world we could carry as we see fit and no one would mind.

Even with a decent CCW law chances are no one there would have been able to carry.

While true - the idea that someone there MIGHT have been armed could have made him think twice about drawing his gun. There were a couple people there over 21 (one of them was killed). The point here is - this guy, being a deputy pretty much KNEW no one but he would be armed.

Unless he was carrying open or from an armed security company he was no cop.

He probably wasn't a cop. All states (not the District of Columbia) will let you carry a gun OUT IN THE OPEN provided you are legally allowed to own one. If you have no permit to carry, you have to have the gun out in the open where people can see it. Most states will not allow you to take the gun to a public gathering (read: Schools, sporting events, or rock concerts and the like) or places that serve alcohol. Other than that, it is left up to the discretion of property owners. That includes merchants, who reserve the right not to permit firearms on their premises. Most people, when they see the firearm - are going to ask questions. If you are out hiking, there's no one there to refuse to allow you to carry. But I'm talking about population centers.

Here in GA, there is a wine merchant I am always visiting - they have all kinds of wines, beers and Japanese Sakes there that they sell by the bottle (it is not a bar). There's a sign on the front door that has a gun with the red circle and line through it and it says "No firearms". HERE, that sign is mainly meant for CW permit people like me. They know people will be armed and they don't want guns in their store. Sadly, the only people that will ever be armed in there will likely be robbing the place - and unless the owner is armed, the robbers KNOW they'll be in a GUN FREE SAFETY ZONE for thugs and crooks. I like the merchant and as a courtesy to him, I do leave my 45 S&W in my car when I go into the store. But I sometimes wonder if these people actually think things through when they make a decision like that. :confused:

Last edited:
All states (not the District of Columbia) will let you carry a gun OUT IN THE OPEN provided you are legally allowed to own one. If you have no permit to carry, you have to have the gun out in the open where people can see it.

That is incorrect.

Laws vary a lot from state to state. In my state you can open or concealed carry, but to carry AT ALL (even unloaded and locked in your trunk) you MUST have a license.

Some states don't allow open carry, some don't allow concealed carry, some don't allow carry at all.

You are correct. Open carry is forbidden in Texas; although, we do have concealed carry with a CHL, and, since September 1, concealed carry in our cars (but not on our persons) without a CHL as long as we 1) keep the gun concealed, 2) the car either belongs to us or is under our control at the time, 3) commit no crime above a Class C Misdemeanor (traffic), 4) can legally own a gun and 5) are not part of a gang or engaging in gang-related activities. We can also carry concealed between our car and our home without a CHL. This is a change from the old travelling statute, since it removes vehicular carry from that part of the statute and moves it to the very top of the law in the same place as the authorization to carry on our own premises. It is not yet the Vermont-style law that I want, but it is way ahead of most other states.

Last edited:
Heck ALL states will let you carry in the open - you just can't go anywhere.

No they won't. In Alabama you can do this on your own property, or private property where you have permission to do so. Other than that you can only carry concealed (with permit).

He probably wasn't a cop. All states (not the District of Columbia) will let you carry a gun OUT IN THE OPEN provided you are legally allowed to own one.

Don't cross the state line into SC with that idea. You can open carry in SC as long as you are on your own property, private property with permission or at your real place of business. You can also carry while hunting or fishing but otherwise it better be concealed with a permit or in your glove box or console. Even in your car you cannot carry in the open and SC does not recognize GA permits.

Even in states where open carry is legal there are issues. There are community standards and what the legal community call usual customs that come into play.

The problem as I see it is simply hoplophobes. In a perfect world we could carry as we see fit and no one would mind.

You mean POLITICIANS, don't you? :p

Colorado allows open carry in all places CCW is available, except in the City of Denver, though you can carry concealed in Denver.

but to carry AT ALL (even unloaded and locked in your trunk) you MUST have a license

Wisconsin is a state that allows you to carry in the open, but NOT concealed. Wisconsin does not issue permits, so it is assumed their open carry law applies to everyone.

Even in your car you cannot carry in the open and SC does not recognize GA permits.

I noticed that. SC is the ONLY state in the SE that does not honor GA permits (and vice versa). I wonder why that is? Did a politician from one state piss off one from the other?

SC has this thing about they will only honor states with requirements meeting or exceeding those of SC which is classroom training and range qualifications. Since GA does not require it they will not establish reciprocity. I think the reason for not honoring FL is that FL did not have a shooting requirement to obtain the certificate. There is a bill in the Senate to honor all permits that will probaby be voted on in Jan. and has already passed the committee so it is likely to pass. With that on the agenda SLED isn't looking to establish reciprocity with any other states right now it seems like.

Back