"No Carry" businesses and their bottom line

Shorts

Do you think business that post no carry signs see a difference on their bottom line before/after said sign?

bottom line

Probably not.Those that carry make up a small percentage of the population so as to not make much of a difference. That and if we go into the business carrying conceal and disregard the signs they still have our money.

I live in Delaware, open carry legal, concealed carry with a permit legal and the only places that have signs are the fed and state buildings. All other places aren't posted. Haven't seen a sign anywhere.

??

We will probably never know because in my opinion, 99% of all CCW holders are responsible and modest in their carrying habits. Most business owners/managers don't even realize they these folks are in their stores. I think people who carry simply do business and go about their day.

JP

Some may. Some may not.

Either way, most business do not operate with a huge profit margin, and telling ANYBODY they aren't welcome (they may argue that they aren't sending that message, but that is what is received- "you're probably a nutcase, so you're only welcome when you're harmless") means you're leaving money on the table.

It is one thing to have real competition with other businesses, but you're a fool if you give customers a reason to shop elsewhere. If businesses are posted, it is my assumption that they have real and strong anti gun convictions, and I'd no sooner shop there than I would at a business that takes a strong stand against my rights to free speech or freedom of worship.

No

I doubt the no carry business sees less revenue than a pro gun business if the two are similar businesses. The same is true of other issues as well. Many people feel intimidated by a store where some religion is suppose to be the guide of the place. While others would not venture into a business that publicises they do not believe god belongs there.

Political signs probably get more reaction than the no gun signs. There are plenty of business that post their support for some candidate or party. I would see that affecting potential business more than anti-gun signs.

How many millions of firearms owners are there?

How many firearms owners are involved in groups that support their firearm ownership be it a hunting, shooting, or lobbying organization? Call these the involved group.

Of the involved group, how many actually apply their beliefs to their daily actions? Call these the committed.

The committed is a very small percentage of the number of firearm owners, and that is the problem. If more of the pwners would committ to the cause then the impact on the infringers would be more severe.

Anygunanywhere

They only notice when brought to thier attention. Grass Roots of North Carolina had a "no buy list" and businesses were advised that while they had a no firearms rule that they would be placed on the list. We changed some businesses but others remained stead fast.

I generally try to make sure that my money goes to someone who does not insult me.

Lately I'm feeling I'm in the minority.

Bogie, I saw your response in the Poll about what ones does when seeing the sign. As an individual who must order any goods other than basic needs from the internet 9then wait 1-2wks for delivery), I will say it's possible that the choice isn't as easy as not going to that particular store. There very well may not be options on where to go to conduct certain business.

What is your suggestion to the people who do not have several options to choose from? Have you ever run into this problem?

i heard the number of ccw holders in state of Ohio but can`t remember figure. it was surprisingly high. as posted in a few different threads on this topic,bottom line is ,the only way to let business know if that sign is hurting them is to tell owner your shopping elsewhere and explain to him that that sign puts you and your family at risk when your in his place of business cause common since says , cash register full of money and no gun sign =`s easy target. i live in the country approx 15min. from nearest town. i`ve gotten to know where the signs are at. if it takes me a little longer to drive and shop at place not posting sign, i will as my gun rights and safety mean that much to me.

Do you think business that post no carry signs see a difference on their bottom line before/after said sign?

Nope. There is only a small percentage of the population that carries guns. Only a fraction of those are serious gun carriers. Only a fraction of those serious gun carriers are likely to do business at a given store. Only some of those will notice or care about the sign.

Say you live in a state where 5% of the population has permits and your state has about 6 million people. Then you have about 300,000 permitees. In a state like Missouri with about that many people, they have an estimated 160,000 businesses in the state. That isn't even an average of 2 permitees per business.

I don't think they would see a difference, or ever be able to tell that the difference was from the signs being posted, too many other variables always change to be able to accurately predict that.

On a side note, I have no problem with a store owner posting his property, he will still get my business, but I will be carrying regardless and he will never know.

It doesn't take much of an impact to matter.

Here in Colorado, a couple of chains (I believe may Home Depot was one) put up no guns signs. The CSSA put this out, put pressure on them, and most of those signs came down. If a company takes it's sign down, I won't hold it against them -- in fact, I'll reward them for the return to common sense.

I think the real bottom line is ... if you don't put up a "no weapons" sign then it doesn't affect business at all.

If you do put up a no weapons sign, you may have a few buyers go elsehwere. That can especially matter at a Home Depot kind of place, where one buyer might be planning on buying a couple of grand worth of merchandise.

Store owners don't like to see any money walking away. We need to keep up the message that "no guns = less money", whereas leaving the place unsigned and therefore neutral = no change.

It doesn't take much of an impact to matter.

But they have to actually understand that a change in the their bottom line is affected by a specific cause. How does a business separate out a 1-5% loss of business when that 1-5% might actually just be a failure to gain business. If a company's profits rise by 8% instead of 10%, will they notice and understand?

Most companies will look at the big picture and need to see the impact in big picture parameters, so we are talking about quarterly profits rather than daily, weekly, or monthly. Those quarterly profits will be compared against the previous quarter, same quarter of the previous year, etc. How does the company determine a dip in profits is due to gun activism versus anything else in the economy?

Here in Colorado, a couple of chains (I believe may Home Depot was one) put up no guns signs. The CSSA put this out, put pressure on them, and most of those signs came down. If a company takes it's sign down, I won't hold it against them -- in fact, I'll reward them for the return to common sense.

I think the real bottom line is ... if you don't put up a "no weapons" sign then it doesn't affect business at all.

How will you reward them? Will it be by having no affect on their business at all? Status quo isn't a reward. It is status quo. Failure to penalize isn't a reward.

Store owners don't like to see any money walking away. We need to keep up the message that "no guns = less money", whereas leaving the place unsigned and therefore neutral = no change.

Funny thing about the "= no change" policy. It doesn't mean you will shop there. It just means you won't avoid shopping there. So sure, stores don't like to see money walking away, but you aren't promising stores will see money walking in either.

Well DN ... I think you're over analyzing this.

Every store owner or manager (even at a large chain store there is a single person who's bonuses and job depend on keeping sales up) wants to keep customers coming in. So if just a single person says "I won't shop here" and then goes and spends money elsewhere, that owner/manager has lost money. And unless they are a moron they understand that.

So if putting up a sign sends even a single customer elsewhere, there is a loss. A successful business owner or even manager will notice that and want to stop it.

Such as Home Depot ... there is a Lowes just as close as Home Depot and prices are always similar. If Home depot had kept their sign up, I just always would have gone to Lowes. On the other hand, there was no one who would choose Home Depot over Lowes because the sign was there.

So net effect of sign = loss. Every business manager/owner knows that when a consumer chooses to purchase a $1,000 refrigerator at the competitor instead of him because of a sign he chose to put up, he has lost a sale.

Do I reward Home Depot actively? Well ... I normally got to Lowes because it's easier to get into and out of. But I do keep in mind that Home Depot did react to the CSSA and take their sign down, so at least once in awhile I go there.

So no matter how you analyze it ... Home Depot does make more money by taking the signs down than leaving them up. And obviously they realized that too, because they DID take the signs down.

the businesses probably won`t know if the sign is costing them $`s or not. thats why IMO, its our responsibility to tell them we`re not shopping their because of sign.

Well DN ... I think you're over analyzing this.

Okay, but I grew up in a family business that branched out into a small, successful chain that was eventually sold off in good enough shape that allowed my folks to retire. So we were a successful business. Part of what made us a success was that we analyzed our operations on a continual basis.

So if putting up a sign sends even a single customer elsewhere, there is a loss. A successful business owner or even manager will notice that and want to stop it.

You are fooling yourself on this one.

Since you know about good business managers...any good business owner/manager knows that you can't please everone all the time and won't engage in the fool's errand to try to do so.

You do lose customers and that is a fact. If you cater to one group, you will likely lose another. If you cater to the gun folks, you will likely piss off the anti-gun folks, hence losing their business. The question for the business is whether the "no guns" sign is really hurting the business or not. It may be that the sign improves business. So the loss of your $1000 'fridge sale may be offset by the gain of selling three more $1000 'fridges to customers that otherwise would not have purchased. All of a sudden, the loss of your sale is pretty meaningless since the store owner is $2000 ahead in sales of where he was had he catered to you.

So the question remains, can gun owners really show businesses that they are losing any real market share and/or profit? Do businesses see financial gains by their "no guns" policies?

I can think of a couple of people who I believe would actually think "Home depot has a sign that doesn't allow guns. That makes me feel safe. Lowe's doesn't have a sign, so there is a potential that there are dangerous people with guns in there."
Then they choose home depot, if given the choice.

Sad, but true. And I bet you it cancels out my business.
It's nearly impossible to prove this, but equally hard to prove wrong.

I know I wouldn't shop anywhere that posted a sign like this, and I'm thankful I've never seen one (other than on gov bldgs).

Back