No.4 Buck vs 00 Buck in Terms of Penetration

dgludwig

I'm having a debate with a friend regarding the depth of penetration between these two shot sizes. Which penetrates deeper, everything else being equal, No. 4 Buck or 00 Buck? Thanks.

I'm a fan of buckshot, and have been shooting quite a bit with 00 and #4 in two different shotguns (Mossberg 500' and Beretta 1201FP).
The shotgun cognoscenti have written off #4 in recent years, but I'm not convinced. I like the large number of pellets, and I think it would perform fine at typical close engagements.
#1 buck is the latest greatest thing according to the experts...but seems largely unavailable. My LGS recently started keeping Winchester #1 on the shelf. I've tried five rounds and liked it enough to buy some more.
I keep a mixture of FliteControl buckshot and standard old fashioned buck on hand, and personally, I like the standard loads for my purposes better. Plus, my LGS sells the Estate 00 load for $6.99/25rd box. Cheap enough to shoot.

I think for deeper penetration, the fiocchi nickel plated #4 and 00 would penetrate deeper than the bare lead shown in the videos posted.

Also, the fiocchi comes in boxes of 10 for about the same price as 5 of other brands. It's some warm ammo as well.

In an article entitled: Buckshot: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Bryce M. Towsley reported testing buckshot penetration in wet newspaper.
The reported results:
-----------------------------------------------------
#4 Buckshot (.24 / 21 grains): 3.5 inches

#1 Buckshot (.30 / 40 grains): 5 inches

#00 Buckshot (.33 / 54 grains): 7 inches

.30-30, 170 grain soft point: 14 inches (control load)
----------------------------------------------------

In my own testing, Dixie TriBall buckshot, (.60"/315 grains), penetrated 31" in wet newspaper.

Last edited:
#4B v. 00B

At the front of my career, ('79) my agency had adopted #4B, so had a number of other Federal agencies as well. The argument was indeed higher pellet count, thus denser patterns, and to a certain degree, higher hit/wounding rate. I have a 1965 or so dated article from the "Rifleman" that was endorsing #4B in combat use in Vietnam, using the same logic.

All well and good at bedroom ranges. But afield, when the shotgun got deployed for an LE incident, or certainly in a combat zone, one would think, the ranges are longer. or have good potential to be longer.

There the #4B pellet runs out of steam due to its smaller mass. The lighter #4B does not do so well on obstacles either (nor does 00B for that matter). Auto glass, sheet metal, even simple interior doors are a formidable barrier. For those reasons, many of my acquaintance carried slugs as a duty load in their shotgun, untill the advent of the patrol carbine as a regular item became a reality.

Finally, after about a decade, 1990', the agency went back to 00B. That, I think, is a national trend. For all that, one of the two shotguns here at bamahouse in the ready mode is indeed loaded with #4B. Intended for marauding coyotes at night, it would be bad news for human threat as well, within its limited range.

Back