NJ and AR-Style Pistols? Do I even need to ask?

vpr80

I don't know for sure so I wanted to find out if AR-style pistols are legal in NJ in any shape or form?

1) I know there are certain pre-ban features that it cannot have and be classified a rifle, but what happens if the receiver is marked a handgun?
2) What if the receiver is normal (rifle), but the upper is short and no stock?

If all else fails, what's my option for the smallest AR possible, a 16" Carbine?

Thanks

So does that mean that if I want to build a pistol that I need a receiver labeled for a pistol? And then I can't convert a rifle AR to a pistol?

Or can I use a rifle receiver, but then once it's converter to a pistol configuration, then I need to register it as such?

Does any of this even matter or I can't do any of this in NJ?

Thanks

You can build an AR pistol out of ANY "Virgin" lower. That is a lower that has never been built into rifle before. It doesn't NEED to be labeled at all.

I don't know about Jersey Laws, but you can build an AR pistol out of any stripped lower, and any length barreled upper. (At least in FREE States. ;))

You want to be sure that there is no way to mount a butt stock on the pistol buffer tube. Weather you decide to use a Carbine buffer tube and assembly, and either fill the track for the butt stock with JB weld or similar, or just slide foam over it, you need to make it so it can't accept a stock. I find the foam over the butt stock deal to be a bit "weak."

well from what i have been told from my ffl. NJ has a weight limit on what they consider a pistol. Just FYI to that fact. I was going to buy a ak pistol but it ended up being a no go because of that fact.

Looks like this discussion is pointless. Here is the definition of an Assault Weapon from NJ Law and the AR-style pistols meet three (#1,3,4) of the criteria:

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

I read the first post and was goingto site Ch. 54 of NJ's assault weapons code, but your last post was exactly that VPR.

vpr80 said:
Looks like this discussion is pointless. Here is the definition of an Assault Weapon from NJ Law and the AR-style pistols meet three (#1,3,4) of the criteria:

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

I believe the Bushmaster AR pistol is designed and built from polymer to meet these criteria. May be worth calling them to find out of it is true, or not. They should know.

vpr80, Olympiac Arms made a modified version of the OA-93 to meet the weight requirement in states like your. It is/was called the OA-96. Check them out.

Back