Nite site for J frame front

I have a J frame that has a factory-replacement Trijicon front sight. It works better than nothing. :-) I'm a believer in night sights, but I haven't gotten around to having the rear drilled and filled. Honestly, for a J frame (which is likely to be used for close-in defense), I think range time, muscle memory and the front sight probably work pretty well. At close range, the combination will put shots on target as accurately as needed.

I worked on a sight idea with IWI and it works quite well. The newer guns have a pinned in front blade that can be easily replaced, but on earlier guns the sight is integral with the barrel. In this case they mill off the front sight and dovetail in a black front sight with the tritium insert. This is quite nice on a stainless gun to get a black sight. They have now gone on to develop a companion rear sight that can be set up with any of the dot and bar combinations, though I agree with JNewell that the rear is far less important than the front.

Check the archives of postings for "Ashley Express Sights"

I've been looking at having those sights put onto a few different semi-autos. Some folks really like them, others not so much. But for a belly-gun, I'd imagine a glowing dot for a front sight is hard to beat. They have a website at http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com

I had a 640 that IWI re-made the front sight with a tritium insert. They also milled in a tritium bar in the rear notch, very clean "bar-dot" sight picture that shot right to point of aim.

The Ashley tritium looks good for my 642. Will try it soon.

Ashley on 642?

I talked with a rep at Ashley a few weeks back. They had been working on a way to mill off an integral ramp front sight on a 642 and replace it with a dovetailed in AO Dot. At that time, he said that the project had been shelved, as there was not enough metal in the front sight to allow for the process. Am I behind the curve here? Did they come up with one or is this on some version of the gun that has a more substantial amount of metal on the front sight, maybe a 640 or something?

I checked on having Trijicon done on my S&W Model 37. The work would be done by the agent of Trijicaon in Lake Orion. Cost? A paltry $250. I am thinking of having it done in the future. Regards, Richard

Back