Nipple Question

Clint Tickler

Recently got my own BP rifle, T/C Hawken 54, and was picking up some supplies at a gun show and got a spare nipple. After looking at it a little closer I see it's got a cross hole in it and appears to be just a little longer then the one that came with the gun. It seems to fit fine but curious as to whether this is a aftermarket "improved" design or if I was sold the wrong thing. I'm new to the world of BP by the way. Fun stuff! Thanks.

It's about a .040" hole drilled horizontally through the nipple. The cap covers it when in place. I thought maybe it was intended to give a little more flame. Just curious.

The cross whole cuts the cap.
It was designed so the #11 caps would flare at the sides so they would remove from the nipple itself.
When those buggers get stuck it's a real pain. You gotta shim it off with a really sharp knife.
Although it's designed to work sometimes it just don't.
In one of my guns I've tried to get the shorter nipple without the cross whole. But most salesmen look at you like your nuts when you ask for the "old style" stuff.
The hammer wouldn't set off the cap with the longer nipple.
I have been forced to file off the excess.
You can do this. You can also trim up your nipples after a time. With age they mushroom and you have to file the sides straight.

Back