Nikon scopes.

mackie

My brother does not have a computer so I trying to help him out on a scope. He is looking at a Nikon 6.5-20x44 for a .220 Swift Remington VS he bought used. Does anybody like their scopes and why? I told him a Leupold 6-20x40 but is out of his price range.

The Nikons are fine scopes and this one would be fine for your purpose, you don't have to worry about that.
I you had been looking at this forum for long, you would have seen many posts and discussions about the relative merits of the somewhat cheaper Nikon versus the somewhat more expensive Leupold.
the Nikon has extremely bright and clear optics. The Leupold is probabley built a bit better, is a very well tested design by long experience, is American made and has great service should it be needed.

I don't have any personal experience with a Nikon, just what's been discussed here. From what I gather they are not as well built as the Leupold and if you have problems with one it's a struggle to get repairs or replacements. The Leupold can't be very much more than the Nikon. Talk him into the Leupold, he'll never be sorry.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

I personally love Nikons.I put Nikons on my Varmint rifles anf Leopolds on my hunting rifles.I found that Nikons have better clarity than the leopolds but the leopolds are more resiliant to punishment like when you do alot of big game hunting hunting.

i happen to have the same one you are inquiring about only with target knobs on my fn. the scope and dsa mount have been taken off numerous times to facilitate cleaning and have not once lost zero. also have had very good response with customer service. when i asked about the scope going from a .223 to a .308 in terms of recoil possible problems i was told "if i have any problems what so ever return to us for repair if not replacement. we want to keep you the customer happy!!"
i know that i am in the minority here but for some reason leupold scopes just don't do it for me. go figure

[This message has been edited by jimc (edited June 07, 2000).]

mackie:
I don't know where you've been pricing scopes but check out riflescopes.com, those 2 scopes are at most $20 different in price. Depending on the options you want on them.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Have him look though both. I was look at both of the scopes that you mentioned. I bought the nikon.(I am a big leupold fan it was no small task to sell me a nikon) I went to the store on a cloudy with light fog(simlar weather to a parrie dog trip a couple of year ago) I liked the nikon better I thought it was clearer and brighter. Have him buy the one he like or he will never be happy with it and why spend that kind of money on something you realy don't like.

Back