Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 on Savage Axis?

I've decided that I'm going to put on a Nikon ProStaff (Nikoplex) on my Savage Axis .308. Anyone here done this? After some research, I keep running into people having the problem of the bolt hitting the eyepiece of the scope (high bolt throw). Anyone here have this problem as well? If you guys have did this, what rings did you use?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I don't have a prostaff on mine (Weaver Classic K which is a fairly compact scope....) but as far as a mount I used a medium DNZ mount.

Bolt

I have shot that same rifle also in .308 and noticed that it had high ring mounts. I don't know if the reason is because of rubbing or if that is what the owner had. Definitely worth having a gunsmith who has multiple mounts install the scope for you to make sure there are no issues. I know a buddy had a problem with a left handed A-bolt a few years back hitting parallax adjustment and he ended up using high rings to fix the problem.

I didn't mount a Nikon on mine, I mounted a Bushnell Banner on it.. and the bolt hit it. So I had to use rather ridiculously high rings, yes the bolt on the Axis does have a very high lift compared to the 10/11 series Savage. Inability to mount a scope at a reasonable height was one of the reasons I got rid of my Axis.

I have a Prostaff on a short action bolt rifle. I learned quickly to keep my thumb out of the way when opening the bolt. If not, my thumb can get pinched between the bolt knob and the scope.

Be careful of autocorrect when spelling Prostaff as well.

Back