Nightstand + case for shotgun

Movian

Inactive
Hey,

I have a mossberg 500 for home defense and want to make sure that it is out of sight when not in use. I am hoping that there is a night stand with a case/cupboard section I can store the shotgun (lockable or non lockable is fine)

just looking for suggestions... if I can't find something will see if I can put something together.

thanks in advance.

I've never liked a long gun for home defense, too unwieldy and prone to being disarmed.
But a popular place to hide one is in a shallow closet, overhead and just above the entrance.
To see it requires actually being in the closet and turning around.
Hard to impossible to do if the closet is not very deep and has a shelf.
If you have such a closet, take a look.

I will investigate using the closet, great suggestion thank you :)

If they are close enough to disarm me then they are close enough for me to fall back on my hand to hand skills (25 years of training).

Also the layout of my house has long corridors and a long stair case making it slightly more practical.

I have an agreement with my wife, rifle and shotgun is fine as I can use those for hunting but no handguns.

Its a compromise I am comfortable with :)

If it just out of sight, there are folks who make a rig that goes between your mattresses and has two U shaped hooks for the gun to rest in. Out of site happens when you simply drape a bed spread over it. It does NOT lock the gun.

Just a thought, Movian, but hand to hand skills might not be sufficient if the bad guy is able to disarm you and comes up with your shotgun.
But since you have made an arrangement with your wife about it, you gotta' go with what you got.
Hopefully, you aren't just relying on merely having a shotgun, but have sought out self defense shotgun training to go with it.
Have you ever offered and even insisted your and your wife go to a range to try out some handguns?
Sometimes that experience can dramatically change a person's attitude.

Use a garment bag of the appropriate length. Add a hook on the inside where the hangers would be and hang the shotgun from the rear sling swivel.

Amazon has quite a few actually

919fK2SC88L._SL1500_.jpg

That is basically what I was mentioning in my post above. Neat idea, but be careful if you're one who blindly swings their legs over the side in the morning. ;)

At our old house I built a recessed vertical shelf with room for my 870 and a handgun. Covered it with a nice dressing mirror on hidden hinges, it had the kind of magnetic latch you find on a bathroom vanity mirror.

I have an old wooden bed with wood slats. I got two heavy duty hooks, like you might use is a garage to hang a bicycle on, at Home Depot and screwed them into the bottom of two slats. It isn't quite as quick to get to as it would be if hung from hangers like the ones depicted in Creek Henry's post, but the shotgun is backup for a nightstand pistol.

I don't try to hide mine, I want it handy when needed and secure when little ones are around.

Right beside my bed, 20g Maverick w/Mossberg HD barrel and it now has a streamlight on it.

e29f8eb4-dfb4-4117-8dd5-6f6cf7b03f4c.jpg

Back