Night Vision

Hammy

I know, if it sounds too good to be true........However, I am wondering if anyone has tried the Nightowl 150 Night vision monocular that uses the squeeze handle. For 100.00 I don't expect much. I'd like to know if anyone has any firsthand experience with these.

I've got one. The image is grainy as can be expected of first gen NV. For the money it's not a bad piece of equipment. You won't be able to read with it and there must be a viable source of ambient illumination. It doesn't work too well in extremely dark conditions.
The main reason I bought mine was the fact that it doesn't need batteries.

I have a Night Owl Explorer (model NOCX3) that's battery powered and has a built in IR illuminator. I was originally thinking about the hand powered one, but realized that you can't use it hands-free like the battery powered version, it has no built in illuminator (needed for indoors), and mechanical movements can break, electronics are much more reliable.

The only real problem with it is that the illuminator isn't totally invisible. When you're looking straight at it you can see a bright red spot of light (which is a perfect aim point for your head), but the scene you're illluminating isn't visibly lit, so if the BG isn't looking straight at you you'll have the drop on him.

But I obviated the illuminator problem by converting a BRINKMANNs LED flashlight ($12, Wal-Mart) by replacing the visible white LED it comes with with a hi-output IR LED bought at Radio-Shack. Totally invisible and lights up the scene for at least 30 yards.

You can use the same converted flashlight as an illuminator for your NVD, velcroing it on.

Back