Night Vision Question

Andygold

I'm looking at a set of Russian NV Binoculars. I'm told they are second generation. They take 2 AA batteries, and are 2.5 x 42.
My questions are;
When in use, there seems to be a sparkly effect in the center of both optics. This effect is visible while the binocs are on, as well as after they have been turned off(the tubes remain illuminated for about 5 minutes AFTER the unit is switched off). Is this sparkly effect normal?
Also, the unit has an illuminator attached above the binocs. I thought it was supposed to be infra-red, yet when standind down range you can see a faint red glow. It is not as bright as a standard LED, yet it is easily discernable. Does this sound normal?

Andy

Andy,

Russian Gen II is equivalent of American Gen I. For novelty, go ahead and buy it. However, for any sort of tactical or even pseudo-tactical use, I recommend saving your money and buying yourself a flashlight and some training.

Russian NV typically has distorted images with the grainy effect that you describe. Their image intensifier tubes have an unpredictable lifespan, and are of low quality. For the NV to be of any use, it will require an IR light source that you describe. IR light sources, especially bright ones, very frequently have a faint dull red glow to the naked eye. This is normal.

My recommendation: save your money. If you want real NV, wait and buy a REAL Gen II by ITT.

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

Back