Night Vision Air Rifle Scope

Futo Inu

OK, I've decided that this is the only practical solution I can come up with to accomplish "operation purge scoundrels"; that is, getting the grackles and doves that roost in my front tree and crap on my pickup, is to take them out under cover of darkness. The owl doesn't work any more. Does anyone know whether a standard night vision scope is subject to the same breakage from the abnormal recoil of an airgun, as is a normal scope? What scope might you recommend, if any? Is there any reference to a source that indicates that one or another of these can stand up to airgun recoil? Any other suggestions on how to kill these birds at night, or get rid of them? And is shooting a dove out of season a federal crime, due to their being a migratory bird, as I have heard from a suspect source? They're not "waterfowl", are they? Thanks. I am definitely a newb to all things night vision...

I use a .22 with a regular rifle scope and a Maglight for pests at night, but you may want to try nailing a 3 foot length or two of old garden hose to the limbs directly over your truck.
The birds see it, think it's a snake, and go elsewhere.

BTT

Thanks Bottom, but uhhmmm, guys, a little help here please. I know someone on TFL can give some good info on this. I really want to do this because the birds are a real problem, and these grackles are so smart around here, that a snake or owl only works for a few days, then they figure out that it's not going to hurt them. These are year-round poop-factory pests, and I've got to do something. Since shooting a firearm (which includes an airgun somehow) in the city limits is apparently perhaps not totally legal, I must minimize the risk of getting caught by shooting at night (another reason is because the birds are roosting there - still targets), and I must minimize the potential perceived seriousness by the LEO in the very unlikely event I am caught, and so I think an air rifle will go long ways towards this end, as compared to a .22 lr or .22 short or Aguila or whatever - it's still a firearm. Night optics are intriguing idea in any event, so it would be nice to find a product that would work with both air rifle recoil and conventional longarm recoil. A little help please!

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/koyote.htm

"The sight built tough mechanically to withstand strong recoil and the most severe environmental conditions"

I know the recoil of a bb gun is pushes both ways, when the spring is released and when it comes back.
But I dont think you'll find a night vision scope designed specifically for an air gun.

Pneumatics, not spring piston ag's,

should solve the scope/recoil problem. A pump up benjamin or crossman is plenty powerful for the pests you're hunting. I'd try that with a quality flashlight rather than investing in a bunch of night vision gear. Blow them out of their roosts at dusk. Don't know of it's a permanent solution but should be fun with limited investment. Good shootin',
dog

How about one of those ultrasonic predator things that duplicate owl noises? Don't know if it will work.

Or, CB caps out of a bolt action .22 with the NV attached. Talk about no recoil or noise.

Midnight raid with waterhose 2 or 3 nights in a row?

One of those nets they put over fruit tree's.

This could be alot of fun.

Regards,

Olazul

Back