Night Sights

h2o 5o

Inactive
Does anyone make night sights for revolvers? I am particularly interested in Night Sights for my 640-1 and my 66. The 640-1 has a pinned front sight assembly. The 66 has the red ramp front sight.

I am only interested in replacement type sights, not the ones that are installed in your existing sights.

The dots that P-T IWI install on the ramps did not work for me. I sat down with them explained what I call the 'Wiegand method' of front sight installation. The front ramp on my S&W revovlers was integral with the barrel, we milled the ramp off completely and cut a dovetail in the rib. A black front sight of the proper height (just happens to be the front sight from a SIG auto) with the tritium insert is then set in the dovetail. I have seen one of Terry Peters (a poster here) guns done this way also. When Barry Mowery owned IWI he could do the rear dots with a cut that opened up the fixed rear sight on the S&W. Dave Gregor, the current owner of IWI, discontinued that option as he believed that the cut weakened the frame. The dovetail front was a good idea (even got a black sight on a SS gun that way) that Dave set out to do a rear. IWI now has a black dovetail fixed rear sight for the fix sighted S&W revolver. Looks good and works well.

IWI has a pin in replacement front blade for the 640-1, your mod 66 ramp is probably one piece with the barrel and would have to use the Wiegand method. Your 640-1 rear might accept the new fixed rear, but you would need to check because I have only seen them done on K-frames. The 66 has an adjustable rear and IWI has a replacemement blade for the rear sight.

P-T's new ad shows a mini, Novak style, fixed rear along with a pinned front replacement on one of the ti J-frames. It looks as though a thin groove is cut just in front of the standard rear notch, rather than a dovetail which would remove more metal. I like the concept, but I'm now quite leary of them after the recent thread, and my friend's personal experience with more than one gun.

Hesco-Meprolight catalogs tritium sights for S&W revolvers with a "red-ramp" front sight. The front lamp somehow replaces the plastic insert. A replacement rear blade and screw is provided. I have no experience with this setup.

Back