Night sights for S&W?

AndABeer

It is time again for my periodic query about night sights for S&W revolvers. I have a 625 Mountain Gun and a 4" 610 that I am dying to get some night sights on so that I may then start carrying them on occasion. This is a personal requirement for me in a carry gun and you may flame all you like but I will not alter my opinion on this matter. It seems that Ashley offers some sight sets and this would be fine for my 625 however they willnot do for my 610. My 610 is the most accurate hangun that I have ever fired and I would be giving all that up with the Ashley sight picture. I have an e-mail into Kimber about Meprolights as they are the distributor now and I am hopeful since the Kimber site shows Ruger revolver sights. Any other suggestions will be most appreciated.

The 625 has a pinned front sight and the 610 is one of those spring loaded jobbies like on the 629 Classic.

I have Kimber Meprolights (well, pre-Kimber) on a 4" 686. I like them.

In order to install them on my Smith, the red front ramp was removed and the Mepro insert was glued in its place. I don't know if the procedure would be different for a pinned front sight.

The biggest drawback is the glue-in front sight insert sticks up pretty high. I can't use the leather pancake holster I bought for the revolver because the front sight snags too badly.

AndaBeer......

........whatever you want to do to your gun will work for you and I am on your side.
I will check my former contacts for new hardware installations BUT the following may help........
We tested some paint on glow on some DPS guns---years ago.
It worked.
I "think' somebody like ----Cabellas(?) may still offer the stuff.
You must be close to Memphis---?
If so there are some fine smiths there who can re-mill or drill---IF---necessary to properly install front and rear sight systems even from another brand of gun.
Those swaps are not new ones.
Many gunsmiths specialize in front and/or sights systems.
My friend Mr.Hamilton Bowen/ Classic Arms----865--984-3583
is one.
I appreciate the fact that you love one of your handguns more than the others.
There is no 'physical' reason why you can't have the type of sights which rattle your chain! It is all a matter of mating one shape of metal onto your existing frame and/or barrel.

Why-shoot! there are folks who I know--who are attempting to make silk purses out of sows ears!!!!!!!
Don Mallard

I agree with regard to the Mepros, they do stick up a bit and change the profile of your front ramp to more of a patridge configuration. My smith recommended a place which will drill the front blade to accept a Trijicon insert. I'll find out who it is. Also, www.ptnightsights.com offers replacement pinned-on blades for the newer Smiths. When I called they said they needed the gun for proper fitting. IOW, they did not appear willing to just sell you the part itself.

Trijicon has their "complicated/custom" installations done by a company called "Tool Tech" in upstate Michigan, I believe...if you contact Trijicon, they should be able to set you up...mikey357

Talked with Kimber and Meps are pretty much out.

Talked with S&W and they were like "Sure we can handle it." Then I reminded dude that the 610 had the spring loaded sight and he backpedaled and said he would get back to me tomorrow.

I have not had any luck talking to Trijicon but I will keep on trying.

Update

Just received my night sight set for the 610 from ToolTech, the custom Triji guys. Got the sights on in about five minutes (really speeds things up when you don't loose the detent spring or plunger on the rear screw). The white outlines are nice and bright as are the lamps themselves. Cost was a bit up there, 180 plus I supplied one of the swappable front blades, but I am happy with the results. The Hogue kingwood grips need to arrive and I'll be all set on the 610. Thanks for all the info people.

Glad that you were able to find some night sights to work on your S&W...since I have (GASP-!) misplaced MY contact info for ToolTech, do you think you could post it here? Thanks....mikey357

Glad that you were able to find some night sights to work on your S&W...since I have (GASP-!) misplaced MY contact info for ToolTech, do you think you could post it here? Thanks....mikey357

Thanks for the info...BTW, have you had a chance to fire the weapon with the new "Nightsights" yet? If so, how'd it go???....mikey357

Yup, I've started carrying it. This revolver is pretty special to me now. Hogue kingwood grips, Custom Triji night sights, chamfered cylinder, rested 3" group at 50yds (I'm not a great shot either). The sights are pretty awesome and I think ToolTech will be getting a lot of business from the range I frequent. I know the manager their will be putting some on 625 very soon.

Back