Night Scope recommendations

MissileCop

Looking for recommendations on Gen II or III Night Vision rifle scopes. I hope I'd never have the opportunity to use it for such, but I'm looking for 24x7 "reach out and touch someone" capability. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be prepared". In return for your recommendations, I'll give you a little night vision humor.

Back in 1988, when I was in the service, I was TDY'd down to Arkansas for a 3 week Air Base Ground Defense course. Working a SAC base, we weren't content with just going down and kicking other units butts. We went down with the intention of kicking the instructors butts as well. Little did they know that we brought our own surprises to the party.
On a 5 day outing, our 44 person unit was working inner perimeter defense for the Command Center (BDOC). Well, one night, the instructors decided to play. They managed to slip through another units perimeter (even taking one M-60 as the gunner slept!), and tried to penetrate us. They never got the chance.
Nobody outside our unit knew that we had brought Starlight scopes with us. Nor did anybody else know that we had M-60 mounts for them. Around midnight, as the instructors slowly approached our perimeter, the dark silence was interrupted by the boom and flash of one of the perimeter M-60's going off. The next thing you heard was one of the instructors yelling "$@*%!, they've got Starlights!" and they booked butt out of our AO. They tried to penetrate our perimeter a few more times on different nights, but never succeeded. M-60 + Starlight = FUN!!! :) Why can't we all have one? :(

Consider the units that Remington is marketing. They'd be my choice. With an adapter ring, you can mount it on any scope you want. Sure you're cheek will rest a little differently on the stock, but you won't have to buy a rifle dedicated to night work.

Problem is, with Remington, it's $5k! Ouch. :(

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Mounting the 4-pound booger is a bit of a problem, but I've spent some time with a Russian PON-3 rifle sight, which by some reports is a Gen II and by other reports is a double-stage Gen I without the coke-bottle distortion of the usual Gen I trash.

Price should be around $600-800, unless the market plummeted.

That one may not provide as crisp an image as a Gen III, but it will do the job out to 200 meters just fine.

If you want the best unit available look at the one on our web page. It was tested by the army as superior to both the Simrad and PVS10. http://mcmfamily.com I hold the patent on it but have nothing to do with it anymore

Back