Night force shv vs vortex pst gen 2

bacardisteve

Anybody had a chance to compare these head to head? Iv owned many vortex and have a first gen pst but the gen 2 seems much improved. I can pick up the 5-25x ffp for about $800 is the night force worth the extra $3-400?

Which objective size? Illuminated? What are you using it for? What kind of field of view do you need?

I have some scopes from both. The top line Vortex has similar clarity and light transmission. I believe the NF to be a lot more durable. The Vortex is a better value IMO. You cannot go wrong with either if you wisely choose the model depending on your application. They will both do it.

For me a lot of it comes down to the different reticles and what you like. I don’t like a very busy reticle, and I want a very fine aim point. Doesn’t matter if it’s a dot or a cross, but it has to be fine, fine. On the FFP scopes I like the Christmas trees for windage, but again, not a super busy one.

Give me some details and I can help you.

50mm objective ffp on vortex 56mm on shv. The vortex is illuminated pretty sure the shv is also. I like the vortex moa Christmas tree with the .25 open do for a crosshair. Gun is mainly used on targets out to 1000yds but has also spent plenty of time in a tree stand overlooking creek bottoms.

If your going MOA and using it for hunting I wouldn’t go FFP. You certainly can do it, but the SFP reticle is a lot easier to use on the low power settings, you may find that a FFP reticle shrinks to an annoying size on the lowest power settings when hunting. I rarely dial for range when I hunt, use pretty low power settings, and generally find SFP more suited to the application.

For target shooting at long range you know exactly where the target is and are usually dialed up anyway, so the windage in the reticle will be on.

My big NF is on a .300WM I use the same way you plan to use it, and I too went MOA for fine adjustment on LR targets, but went SFP because I want to hunt with it too.

I really only go FFP on my competition rifles, and then in mRad because I’m dialing up and down very fast on targets at different ranges in 10 shot strings.

Again, either will certainly work, but I find that to make the reticle comfortable when hunting a FFP I have to dial a up too high, and it narrows my field of view, which is a disadvantage when you have to bring the rifle up quickly and get on a big buck.

As I said, both brands make a solid piece of glass, and you can’t go wrong either way, but pick the model carefully. If possible go to the range on a busy day when there are a lot of marksmen and try them out. I know when I started going to matches I asked to handle just about every rifle and look through just about every person’s scope. I would say half the time I’m at the range someone wants to handle one of my rifles, and not only am I happy to oblige I encourage them to take a few shots.

Back