NICS: success or failure?

I guess that would depend on how you want to look at it. The obvious answer, a failure since it infringes on our rights, and hasn't lead to many (if any) arrests (no data available).

So here are the numbers I found in the FBI's own press release about the 1st 41 days of NICS.

1,030,606 instant checks
11,584 rejects out of those

So a 1.12% reject rate. Hmmm... would seem to me that felons don't seem very interested in using the system. Haven't found any more recent numbers.

I was thinking that this would make a good argument for anyone interested in common sense.

------------------
Peace...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

To them I'd say it's been an overwhelming success. 1,030,606 gun owners neatly tucked away in their data banks.
Wasn't that the intent all along?

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Kam, Common sense? That went out years ago.
Let's you and I figure a way to get enough money from these folks to the point we can have complete control over them an then we can dictate our will. If we did it properly it shouldn't take more than .......
Good Shooting, Hank

I had a conversation this weekend with a fellow shooter and he is not the paranoid type, well no more than me. It is his opinion that the fbi is loving this instant chk because it gives them a chance to update and expand their fingerprint file.........who knows...fubsy.

KAM, I'll play along for a sec here. 1.12%. You are absolutely correct, criminals don't need to go to legitimate dealers to aquire firearms. Now my next question, 11,584 rejects? How many of those were initial rejects that were later cleared because of bad information, or misspellings? And of those that were truly rejected for legitimate reasons, how many of those nearly 12,000 were prosecuted by our illustrious administration, who claimed that Brady and NICS was the end-all to catching those dastardly ne'er-do-wells? With a recent study showing that federal firearms prosecutions dropping 46% since 1992, why should our federal administration buck the trend of prosecution failures when they can just write more laws, and then fail to prosecute them? NICS may or may not be a failure, but our current dictatorial administration is a farce. If zero can be a negative number, then that's the grade I'd propose.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

NICS has been a fantastic success....for data collection and record keeping on gun owners. As you will recall, the data collected was only supposed to be kept for a day or two, then destroyed...we only had "their" word that they would adhere to that. The time allowed to keep the data has continually increased until now its more or less permanent and has propagated through the system, regardless of what they say. If you will note, many of the newer laws (i.e "one gun a month") merely serve as justifying keeping the data.

Very few bad guys buy guns retail, just like they don't buy cars at auto dealers retail.
As we have witnessed, NICS prosecutions are effectively non-existant. Thus, any half-wit who bothers to think a bit can see that the real intent of NICS is not crime-fighting and crime prevention. Period

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I have to admit that I'm quite ashamed that it took me more than a minute to understand the "one-gun-a-month" plan, but it actually took me months! It has nothing to do with "one-gun-a-month" and everything to do with registration. Suddenly we need a national database to keep track of exactly which person possesses exactly which gun. NICS does not do that, and my only objection to it (though a major one) is that it allows Big Brother to declare which of "the people" shall be allowed to enjoy that "right of the people" which "shall not be infringed". This plan, instead, keeps track of every gun (handgun to be specific, guess how long that will last!) purchased and who purchased it. No prob, that record will of course be deleted as soon and the "month" is over, right? Sure it will. Trust me. Would Slick Willie lie to us?

Larry P.

its not 1,030,606 people in their records, cuz you figure in all the multiple buyers and its more like 1,000,000. I'm one of those people.
I'm not paranoid, cuz the Gov't always had access to this info. now they have it all in one place, instead of having to go to all the FFLs. it says them time, and taxpayers money. so think of it as the gov't saying you a buck.

Had the govt immediately responded to the killer in Chicago that was "denied", we would NOT be mourning another loss...

I say we ALL file a class action suit against the govt for allowing "their" system to allow this tragedy to happen in Chicago.

Remember, that is EXACTLY what the NICS was supposed to do, yet they were also supposed to respond in a hurry to detain the guy as well... That's why NICS is in place, correct..? Obviously, nothing was prevented. This can only mean that we have been right all along, but the media is of course using the old "he bought them from an unregistered dealer..." NO $HIT, because the govt did not prosecute when they had the opportunity and legal obligation to do so! Who are the criminals/murderers now..?

[This message has been edited by antiUSSA (edited July 06, 1999).]

Yesterday I conducted a test of a nation-wide checking and verification system.

I stopped for gas at an Exxon station that takes credit cards right at the pump.
- I tried a Texaco card. It was refused as it should have been.
- I entered a VISA card. It was refused as it should have been. (We pay it off monthly. Last month we bought a washing machine and a television and the pay-off check is enroute - not yet credited to my account. Therefore the card is "full".)
- I entered my MasterCard. I was accepted in just over TEN SECONDS! Totally automatic!

Visa and MasterCard can maintain that kind of control with millions upon millions of credit cards in circulation (many folks have many cards). Each card has its own account number so there probably MANY more account numbers than people in the U.S.

NICS only needs to maintain a data base of felons and other "unacceptables" by Social Security Number. If you are NOT in the data base, then there is no reason to deny the sale.

1) If the goal is crime control, why must they track honest citizens?

2) If the goal is crime control, why must they take days to do what credit card companies do in SECONDS?

3) If the goal is crime control, why does our government NOT punish the felons who try to buy guns?

Obviously, "crime control" is not the goal. The government wants to know who has guns. That is called, "Registration". It is illegal! It is neccessary ONLY if you plan to identify opponents of government tyranny.

Again, another "blessing" bestowed upon us by the Democrats and Republicans. Now, all together, "Vote for Bush to fight Gore!"

Right. :( And you expect change for the better? Get serious. Get mad!

Vote the rascals out!

Back