NICS rules

Tayta_Mayne

Ok so what exactly are all of the rules? My father was denied a pistol purchase today and he has not had any trouble with the law since 1975. I was sure that as long as you served all of your debts to society that you were good as long as it had been over 7 years. I mean I guess it could be any number of odd complications. Such as a guy with the same name that has warrants or anything of that nature. Can you guys help me out here. He was given a paper from the shop with a number and his nics transaction number. I just want to try to figure this out before he calls so he can tell them what he thinks it might be. Thanks in andvance.

You didnt say what your dad got arrested for in 75. And it depends on which state you live in. If it was a felony,you have to hire a lawyer and take it to court or a pardon from the Governor in the state you live in. Rich642Z,Omaha,Ne.:eek::eek::eek:

(B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? [Back]

Yes, a person who –

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(2) Is a fugitive from justice;

(3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

(10) Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b5

Please note that #1 doesn't require that a person serve more than a year, just that the crime he was convicted of has an option of more than one year imprisonment.

i know of someone denied, turns out it was a vandalism charge from 30 years back, but was railroad property. It was in the system, and took couple of months to get cleared up.
Weird thing about the go ahead that someone was given. He bought many long and handguns in the next couple of years, Then was informed (by FBI) that that original go ahead was for one(1) purchase only. He then read the writing on the wall and promptly sold everything he had purchased, as he thought they might be confiscated.
Never heard if anything further happened.
I will ask next time i bump into that someone.

Got a common name? Use his SSN?

What happened in '75? IF a felon, he can't buy one from a FFL, nor is to be in possesion of a firearm.

IF it's some mix up, you can file an appeal with teh BATFE.

Back