Nickel plated revolver

buzzard55

Inactive
i am trying to find a nickel plated revolver that is legal in the state of california, i have a rock island 38 super now but want something else, thanks

I have a couple. I have an 8" Colt Trooper Mark III in 22 mag and a 6" Colt Diamondback 22. I assume they are both legal in CA.

22-rimfire said:
I have a couple. I have an 8" Colt Trooper Mark III in 22 mag and a 6" Colt Diamondback 22. I assume they are both legal in CA.
Out of curiosity ... why would you assume that they are legal in California? Did you review California state law and their attorney general's approved firearms roster?

I have one nickel plated revolver a S&W m57 41mag 83/3” barrel. Seeing as I’m not ever going to seek employment as a piano player in a bordello I could be talked out of it. I have no idea about Ca gun laws.

There’s not many new nickel revolvers out there. Your best best is going to be used. Cimarron has a couple different Single Action’s in nickel but I’m guessing they aren’t available in CA.

A high polished stainless steel gun can look pretty close to nickel and stainless steel is the most common finish/material used for revolvers.

"...not many new nickel revolvers..." That's because nickel plating in 19th Century technology.
"...have no idea about Ca gun laws..." Pretty much ditto. Except their laws are more stupid and oppressive than our are. Either way, like Aguila Blanca says, it's up to you to know your local laws. No assumptions are permitted.
"...high polished stainless steel..." Horrible for shooting outside. Lotta reflection making the sights disappear, if the top of the barrel is highly polished.

So, Nickel and SS revolvers will make the front sights disappear? How ridiculous. Hasn’t caused a problem with me over 40 years.

Recently bought a Bodyguard 380 and specifically bought one with a SS slide because the black front sight was EASIER to find and use.

Not sure just where electroless nickel (E-nickel) fits in here "legally", but I love the finish for both revolvers and semi-autos.

Another O'Heir drive by post full of his wisdom.
Nickel plating is actually 20 century technology. Early nickel-plated guns were often used with black powder. Unless meticulously cleaned, these gun would corrode through the nickel plating. Properly nickel plated guns are pretty durable-probably more so than modern painted guns, and certainly the plating is more durable than any bluing. Electroless nickel is a more modern process that improves nickel plating. While nitriding and industrial hard chrome plating are the ultimate finishes for carbon steel firearms, nickel is not far behind.

Back