Nickel Model 629 and 657 NIB 8 3/8"

2wheelwander

Looking for some input. I know the quick answer, but looking for the long one. Good friend recently passed. His wife gave me first dibs on the guns the family did not want (which included and very old, very original, very nice Henry Golden boy).

Two of the ones she is holding for me are a NIB 629 and 657. No dash. Both never shot, original boxes, 8 3/8" barrels and both have the original wooden finger grooved grips. Not the traditional Smith grips. I believe both had the ribbed top to accept scopes.

I can buy both for <$1k each. I see a few on GB ASKING insane BIN prices. There is not scope with either. I already have a handful of .44's. Do not have a .41 mag and they both would remain safe queens. I know guns always go up, but there is no emotional attachment and would strictly be investments.

Link below. Exactly like this but no scope. Thoughts?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/949009090

Have owned Smith 41s since the 80s. Currently have a 657-2 and a Bisley Blackhawk. With 8" barrel, it will be a dream to shoot with top loads. I looked at a 629 with a scope long ago and decided I'm not going to shoot more than 75 yards, so don't need it. IMO, it Fubars the portability of a revolver.

The 629-2 with scope mounts is pretty rare. I think they made 4800 in a 2 year period during the 80's. If it doesn't have the rings for the scope you will probably have a very hard time finding them.

For a 1k you would be good I believe.

44 AMP you may be exactly right, I only handled them several weeks ago and didn't pay that close attention/ Looked for what 'dash' they were and so forth. Noticed the grips and top rail was different. But, I'm not up on these. Looking for info from those in the know, which I am not. My minimal research suggested these with scope mounts may be harder to find.

Any input is appreciated. Like I said, I would not shoot these, but if they are a limited run and have potential collectors interest, they would be nice to add to my collection.

Correct !!!

To the best of my knowledge, S&W model number revolvers that start with "6" are stainless steel, not nickel finished.
That is correct and you have to swing the cylinder out and read the entire model number. 629-???

Be Safe !!!

I watch N frame Smiths on GB regularly. $1000 each would be top retail for the stainless guns. There is a cult following on 41’s that someone might pay a little more, while 629’s commonly sell for $800 - $900.

Pahoo - I did. Did not see any dash, markings appeared to be early no dash models. Knowing my friend as I did, he probably bought both at the same time.

Back