Nickel finish worth a nickel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering buying an auto with a nickel finish and am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages might be. I currently own a revolver in stainless steel and really like the fact it is "rust proof" and easy to clean. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, A few years ago nickel was the
"desired" finish; but with the introduction
of stainless steel handguns, nickel finishes
have diminished. I am from the old school;
thus I prefer the blued finish handguns,
for CCW and tactical advantages.

------------------
Ala Dan

Im with you on this one Maxwell !

I would love to have a nice gun in nickel or stainless. Unfortunatly we dont have many choices. Sig makes great guns in nickel but they will cost you your gold. Beretta makes the 92/96 in stainless but if you dont want a 9mm you are again out of luck. the beretta 96 is not reliable because the feed ramp is the same as the 9mm and it jams. (ask anyone that has one. they all jam) SO where does that leave us? S&W ? It really stinks that beretta dont make the cougar in stainless. If you like taurus, they make a whole buncha shiny guns. but who wants a taurus ?

If you or anyone else knows of a high quality auto in stainless or nickel in .40 please let me know. the leaders (sig,hk,glock,beretta) leave much to be desired. Not all of us carry our guns and would like to admire the looks as much as the functionality.

------------------
TIM : )

Depends on several things. A nickel, chrome or stainless gun in a semi-dark "serious social situation" could become a neon sign pointing straight at you.

A second problem with nickel is that some ammonia type cleaners can hurt the finish. They will not attack the nickel, but will attack the copper undercladding and leave the nickel unsupported so it will flake off.

Those considerations aside, I like nickel; it has a warmer appearance than either chrome or stainless, and a lot of eye appeal, especially in a red velvet case.

Jim

You might consider the CZ-75 as it comes in either 9mm or .40 and is available in a satin nickel finish. I have one and it is a nice piece and in my opinion compares favorably with the much higher priced competition.

The three major finishes are teflon, hard chrome and nickel. Nickel is better than standard bluing in terms of rust/stain resistance and durability. However, nickel can get tarnished, but that can be removed. Hard chrome is more rust resistant than nickel and more durable. Teflon is probably equal to if not better than hard chrome for stain/rust resistance, but not as durable as hard chrome against scratches...

Thanks for the feedback so far. As a matter of fact it is the CZ 75/85 (haven't decided yet) that will be my next gun. The nickel finish on it looks awesome and I've read nothing but good reviews regarding performance. I would like to know how to properly care for the finish to keep it looking new since I plan on keeping it for a while.

According to a game warden who works on the Gulf Coast, nickel is more corrosion-resistant in salt air than stainless. However, holster leather and some storage materials (like styrofoam) tarnish nickel more easily than stainless, in my experience. The tarnish can be removed with a non-abrasive polish, but only on bright nickel surfaces, not on satin nickel (most any polish will alter the reflectivity of satin nickel, which is best left alone).

Finishing in nickel costs more to make than most stainless finishes, which I assume is why firearms manufacturers have largely dropped nickel for stainless. But I think nickel is better looking than stainless. To my eye, nickel has a slightly golden undertone while stainless has a relatively blue-gray look.

IMHO the best nickel finishes used to come from Colt's. S&W did a respectable job of finishing in nickel as well. Back in the 80s BHPs were available in a brushed-looking nickel that was attractive, but somehow didn't quite measure up to the bright nickel or satin nickel of Colt's O-frames.

Jim K. offers some good advice on the care of nickel. I keep the use of solvents to a minimum on my nickel guns, and only lube with Hoppe's Gun Oil.

FWIW, I've seen one Colt (a Combat Commander from around 1980) with nickel peeling in the finger grooves of the safety and the slide. I don't know if Colt's or the owner messed up. Also, I remember a brand-new S&W Model 13 with a severe peeling problem on the barrel--no doubt the factory's fault and very unusual. I owned a nickel BHP and was not happy when the plating started to peel off the hammer right away. However, Browning's service department took care of the problem.

My $0.02.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited November 10, 1999).]

Jerky,

Kimber now makes their full line of 1911A1-style autos in .40 S&W. Therefore, to answer your question, one could buy a full-size Kimber Custom/Classic in stainless chambered for .40 S&W, rather than .45 ACP. I would guess the price would approximate $650.

Thanks to everyone for replying. This brings my next question. Who does nickel finishing for a decent price? What do i look for in a company that does nickel ?

I have no idea where to begin to look. Any info is appreciated.

------------------
TIM : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back