NIB or used 1911????

Cyric13

I looking t buy a 1911 and would like a NIB but lots of them are pricey. I heard metion of the Chinese 1911 Nimroco or something and the Charles Daly 1911. Would you go with a used "name brand" like Springfield Kimber or a NIB off brand. What do you guys think who have experience with them all?
Or should I just save up $$$ and buy NIB name brand?

thanks, Cyric13

Oh, Norinco, made in China, I wouldn't own one. I'd save for a new Springfield "Loaded" 1911 if I was looking to buy. Kimbers and Les Baer "Thunder Ranch Specials" are nice also. I would get the new Springfield. I may be a little paranoid in my view here, but you never know why someone may want to sell a gun and you wouldn't want to buy someone else's possible nightmare unless you know them and have fired the gun a lot. I would buy new with factory warranty and hope for the best.

Greetings Cyric13,
Seems like you decided on a .45 1911. That would have been my suggestion. The CZ or .40 HP would have been fine choices also. I would also suggest a used Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc. Resale should be good and the dealer/owner may let you shoot it first. The name brands should have good customer service too. I've read good things about the Norinco, however, and might take a chance on it if the price was right. A NIB Colt 1991 or a Mil-Spec model from Springfield Armory should be in your price range as well. Plenty of good inexpensive parts and knowledgeable gunsmiths with this pistol design no matter what you pick. Gunowners always seem to be looking for that "perfect" gun or simply want the latest thing. When money is tight they will often foolishly trade a very good gun. But hey, they probably have two more just like it in the safe. Seek out a little used gun buying advice and compare to the new ones in the store. This will reduce your chance of getting a lemon someone has dumped. Good luck in your search.

[This message has been edited by JackNKoch (edited December 10, 1999).]

Love my 1911s. I myself am a novice. Having started two years ago with used 1911s. I have gotten better and with lots of practice,training, confidence have traded in my used 1911s for ones that I demand more from. I now have a Springfield Trophy Match and Kimber Gold Match. There is a differance in quality and workmanship, tightness of the gun. Also name brand does hold up a little better in resale or trade.My trouble with used guns was being able to judge a good used from a worn out used. Now that I can pick a good used one out (I think), I opt to buy NIB with as many features as I can afford out of the box. Still NIB is going to have a break in period. Good luck.

------------------
An armed society is a polite society.

Like for all guns - Get the BEST gun you can afford. If you can only afford X amount of Dollars... And $X can only get you a cheap gun - I would look for Quality Used gun.
Norinco is - what? The biggest arms maker on the planet? They make a 1911 that could be compaired IMO to 1911s that were made back in the mid to late 1940's.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

I've heard nothing but good about the Norinco Model of the 1911A1 (their name!)

Argentine Model 27 are built on Colt machinery, licensed by Colt. Appear to be an excellent 45, very close to the 1911A! US Army.

Either of the above, or a good condition, used Colt, Series 70 or 80 would be a good starting point. As you go along, you can trade your old pistol and buy a more expensive one later, sort of upgrade your collection. Lots of us do it. :) HTH

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Everyone has given you good advice. I'd just say that when it comes to used 1911's, be VERY VERY CAREFUL. The only real problems I've had with 1911's has been with ones I bought/traded for that were used. This is because of all the kitchen-sink gunsmith wanna-bes that totally screw up a perfectly good weapon trying to "improve" on it, then unload it on some poor guy who doesnt know any better ( Like I used to be). These weapons usually have all the bells and whistles to make it seem attractive, but end up being unreliable. Not saying you cant find a good used 1911, just be careful, and dont buy it if the owner wont let you shoot it first.

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

In addition to the responses so far, I'd like to add my two cents.

The semi-automatic action of a 1911 type pistol is primarily what makes it such a prize to own. However, not all 1911's are created equal. To me, they are alot like fishing tackle, in that, you can catch a fish with just about any rod and reel combo, but once you've held the high end combo in your hand, made your first cast with it, and caught your first lunker on it, you will be hooked yourself. That is, to stick with the high end "tackle".

In my opinion, a 1911 type pistol is nothing without adjustable rear sights or high end fixed sights, and a good trigger. You'll look at the prices ranging from $750 to $1750 and you'll scratch your head. Higher end pistols will have tighter tolerences, will feed better, shoot better, feel better, and just plain ARE better than any cheap imitation.

The down side is magazine capacity. Those 10 rounders sticking out the bottom of the mag well just don't cut it. I like the 8 round Chip McCormick series mags, but I'd really like something with 10, 12, or 13 rounds in the well. But, beggars can't be chosers.

I forgot part of my sermon!

I echo what 01paw said, Buy a STOCK used Colt Series 70 or 80. There are some real crappy improvements done on 45s by "kitchen table gunsmiths. Beware aftermarket grip safeties, mainspring housings, triggers, if the trigger pull seems too light, etc. etc.

You will do best with a stocker, IMHO. :)

Thus endeth the sermon!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Folks get real obsessive about GM mods. All you need for a defense piece is one that's reliable, has sights YOU can pick up fast, a clean trigger and grips that fit you to the weapon.

The next thing you should get instead of all the bells and whistles is ammo and range time.

Current pet was set up for Camp Perry by the previous owner,all I did was change some springs and add a set of Herrett's grips. It hasn't glitched in over 1500 rounds.

I recently purchased a NIB Norinco after talking to Wilson (and asking opinions here). While Norinco my have it's critics (likely from guys without first hand knowledge), they are really nice stock 1911's. So far, it's functioned flawlessly. Trigger is too stiff and it's finished like a wartime piece but it is tight and right and under $400 (I paid $360).

Now I wanted a stock looking piece. I've got a custom comped 1911 and wanted a traditional looking one. If you end up accessorising the Norinco, you may be ahead to look elsewhere. I'm going to fix up the trigger and get some simple walnut checkered grips and that's it.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Norinco. Its made of good mettalurgy, according to gunsmiths who had opportunity to do customising jobs to some. As for buying 2nd hand 1911, I suggest read the article of Jack Fusilier (did I get that right?) at Technical Issues of the M1911.org. Jack gave specific instructions on testing 1911 style pistols. GOOD LUCK!!!!

------------------
jj0287

I have never had a "new" 1911. My first was a WW II Essicks (sp) slide still tight. 2nd a Springfield 19911-A1 with light mods. "long trigger" But the important thing is have someone along who knows what to look for. Make sure the frame and slide are tight. Rack the slide check for rough spots. Get a chance to fire a few rounds thru it before you buy it. At least get it in writing that you can return it "say in 4 days max" if it fails to function. "some places have a test barrel to function fire pistols in."
Have only shot one Norinco. Seems like a good gun. Love McCormick mags . Function well for me.

Back