NIB Marlin MR7 30-06 for $350... should I?

Dogger

I can purchase this rifle new for $350. Appears to be a close out since Marlin does not appear to be continuing them. Should I buy this rifle? I was leaning towards a Remington 700 ADL for $437, or a BDL for $460, or a Browning ABolt II Hunter for $460. But that $350 price tag got me to wondering... was this rifle dropped because it stinks? Seems to me that if the market liked it, then Marlin would keep making it. Thanks for inputs...

Strike while the iron's hot!

On one hand, you'll have a NIB 30.06 with iron sights from Marlin. If you never shoot it, it can only increase in value (short production run, rarity, original box, etc.)

On the other hand, it's new, a 30.06, $350.00 and it's by a reputable company - which should have a good factory service program should there ever be any problems with it.

I'd say that you have a winner no matter which way you look at it! If nothing else, it maybe can be used as a trade in for an up grade. So there is yet another option.

I say - Go for it!

U.G.

Jump on that deal! Yes, it is a discontinued rifle but not because of quality. The market is just too saturated with other fine bolt action large caliber rifles so Marlin has gone back to basics.

I have an MR-7 and love it. It's no exageration that I am able to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards consistently with factory ammo (PMC). The bolt is real smooth and the wood and metal finish are excellent. It has some real nice features, like a detachable drop-out magazine, a three position safety and an adjustable trigger. I paid $450 for mine last year, so you will be getting a real bargain.

CAUTION: Make sure you are getting the MR-7 and not the MR-7B. The "B" model is the low end rifle and comes with a birch stock and fixed sites and has no detachable magazine. Same action and still a fine rifle, but not an MR-7.

Regards,

Noban

Dogger, Bass Pro in Charlotte has the MR-7 in .30-06, .280, .270 and .25-06 for $299. If there is a Bass Pro close by check them out. These have the detachable mags and walnut stocks. They have them with and without sights. The rifles use the same scope bases as the Winchester Model 70.

Hope this helps.

Smokin' deal. I have never had the pleasure of shooting one of these, but they seem to be very high quality, right up with Remchester.

Back