NFA transfer times

VUPDblue

I just started an NFA transfer. Anyone recently got one back and care to share what kind of turnaround time you received? The locals around here have been saying 6 weeks lately.

Once the paperwork is filed you can expect the BATF to dick anywhere from 1-12 weeks. They usually dick around 6-8 weeks.

that only applies to department-issued weaponry. In that situation, the department owns the weapon and you being an employee of that department are thereby allowed to carry it. For any NFA item that you would want to own yourself, you must follow the same rules and regs as Joe Citizen.

i sent mine in on feb. 16 and my check still hasnt cashed..:eek:
i called and they told me not to worry, that they are taking longer than expected and im not the only one..

The last two I did were sent in sometime in February and I have them back now. Six weeks would probably be a good guess.

just out of curiosity, where did you guys send your paperwork? Some people have told me they send theirs to Virginia and some have sent theirs to Chicago.

NFA transfers are different than normal handgun or rifle transfers. To transfer a Suppressor, Machinegun or the like, you have to have ATF approval and pay a $200 tax stamp for each item you wish to transfer. This process involves a sign-off by your local Chief Law Enforcement Official, background check by BATFE and, as stated above, the $200 transfer tax. This process usually takes from 6 weeks up to 1 year.

My last four Form 4 tansfers have averaged 35 days from mailing to receipt of the approved F4. All transfers have been corporate (my LLC).

sorry willbray, I thought that was what you meant. My mistake. You must have meant that you witnessed NFA transactions at the large gun stores. I pictured Dick's, Cabellas and the like and didn't think they dealt in NFA items, sorry...;)

just got my form 4s back a couple of days ago...and I sent them off Feb. 1...so, looks like about 10 weeks on mine

Update

I got back two more form 4s the other day. I sent them at the beginning of February. They were stamped something like February 18 and went out like the third week of March.

ATF signed for my paperwork on March 13. I haven't checked to see if the MO is cashed yet. Maybe I'll get to that today...

I got the call today from the my dealer that my paperwork was in and I was ready to take posession of my new NFA item. ATF signed for my paperwork on 3-13. Today is 4-26. That was a turnaround of 6 weeks almost to the day. Guess that answers my question......

Back