NFA questions

jwalker497

I was interested in either a SBR for HD and/or maybe a suppressor for ear protection, I mean why risk ear injury if it can be avoided and why not have a SBR for protection rather than a full length rifle.

Anyway, I was wondering if going through the hoops for these items exposes oneself to extra scrutiny form big brother? Do you go on some special list, which we know they have, no fly lists, etc. Outside of getting into conspiracy stuff, what is the liability if one chooses to go down this path? Are regular inspections something that comes with having an legal NFA item? Anyone know anyting that's true and not speculation??

do you really have to get permission from the local sheriff to own a Nfa weapon?If so then what about places with the good ole boy system? ,Also ihear that if your background is clear you cant be refused a class 3

If you want to legally get into NFA/Class3 weapons. The procedures set up by our government is for the sole purpose of keeping an eye on whats out there. So yes you would be put on a "list" or data base. That's what the NFA part of the BATFE does. You can avoid LEO sign off if you set up an NFA trust. Some people use a lawyer and some use Quicken Will Maker. I personally used my Corporation and lawyer that is specialized in NFA Trusts

NFA is no differant then any other type of gun owner ship. NFA owners tend to be the model gun owners. We do a bunch of paper work get mug shoted, finger printed, wait forever and to top it all off we pay $200 to have it done to us. If the Brady Bunch got their way you all would be jumping threw the hoops that those of us in the NFA crowd are used to doing.

As for being on a list well, your posting here might have already got you on "a list" Dont worry inspection are rare and there is no truth to the myths that surround NFA owner ship.
I recommend you look here for more info. www.uzitalk.com, just dont get to close to Jim.....( hope you see this Jim :D)

Chances you are already on about a dozen lists already. One more isn't going to make a difference.

That is part of their problem, the government has made so many lists that the lists are largely useless. We have 4-year olds on the "No-Fly list" and 14 year olds on the sex offender registry. There are several hundred thousand people on the NFA registry and it still supposedly is full of errors.

What if you buy a fully auto rifle (pre-1986) and own it legally, would you have to pay another $200 dollars to have the suppressor on it or a fore grip?

The suppressor is a separate NFA item and it requires $200 stamp.

If you have a registered transferable full auto, you can put all the foregrips you can stand on it.

Everyone seems uptight about BATFE visits, searches, etc., if one owns a registered NFA item. I owned five machineguns and a couple of stocked pistols for around 40 years and never had any contact with BATFE except to send them a change of address when I moved. (I since sold all my NFA guns and have never heard from BATFE after the transfers went through.)

It is not like a dealer's license where they can inspect your books and place of business or a C&R license where they can examine your book. It is legally not a license at all, it is a mean of collecting a sales tax.

In my experience, they simply don't care about legally owned NFA items unless one turns up in the wrong place.

Jim

BATFE cannot just come and search your house if you own class III firearms. They can require you to an audit if you have a C&R and that does not have to be at your house.

All Form 1 and Form 4 transfers will require the signoff of the local pd (whatever that may be). If the transfer is going to a trust or llc then no local signoff is required.

Back