NFA question

J.Kendall

Is it legal, if I get the tax stamp at some point, to buy surplus lower assemblies from other countries, and then buy other parts to complete a rifle? New to all this NFA stuff...

no new full auto's can be registered for civilians in the U.S (except for dealer samples) But if your an importer and a manufacture you can build new Simi-auto receivers and then import some old full-autos and place the "parts kits" on the new non-Full-auto receivers.

If you are making a NFA firearm on form 1 (like a short barreled rifle) you always pay the tax and wait till you get your stamp before you build it.

You can not legally assemble a new machinegun. Period. Even if you are using old imported parts.

Building a semi-auto is fine as long as the barrel is 16" or more and you have the 10 USA made 922r compliance parts. I think you get a pass around 922r if the gun is NFA...

On the G3 type weapon as soon as you modify lower trigger pack assy. to fit a semi auto receiver, or modify that semi auto receiver to accept a select fire lower trigger pack then you have created an illegal machine gun subject to up to 10yrs in federal prison and up to $250,000 fine. You can have the multi position lower grip assy. all you want as long as you don't have a host firearm it fits on.

What you are considering buying is an unregulated spare part for a machine gun, if you don't have a machine gun to legally use it on, there is not need to have the part.

I wouldn't do it...the reason why its so cheap is b/c what you will end up with is illegal.

Also, I too was under the wrong impression that if you build a NFA toy, you are exempt from 922r. That is WRONG! ATF has ruled that any firearm that has imported parts or was made from kits or even if it is a NFA weapon, it STILL has to comply with 922r.

Last edited:
Back