NFA hassles?

trespass

I got to admit am beginning to covet a short little AOW shotgun I've seen...
cute as a puppy. Never owned class 3 weapon...know I have to get
printed and photoed and pay a tax...what else? I have been told am subject to inspections and must show all guns, etc..how much of this is real and how much is myth? thanks...

I have been told am subject to inspections and must show all guns

Not true.
A C&R License makes you subject to inspections, because it is an FFL. Having NFA weapons does not make you subject to those any more than non-NFA weapons.

Welcome to your first piece of Crack Cocaine, believe me it is not addicting, you will be perfectly satisfied with your one piece you will not need another.

You can also create a revocable living trust and don't have to do the CLEO signature, photos or finger prints. The "inspection at anytime" stuff in BS propagated by people who don't know NFA from NBA.

There are so many NFA items in the registry the ATF doesn't care about any single one enough to hassle anyone. If you aren't doing something to draw attention to yourself you'll be fine.

It seems to me that the only hassle you might get is from the CLEO. The CLEO is only supposed to certify that ownership of the firearm will not be in violation of the state or local law. (This is BATFE covering their fannies in case a city council passed some law they don't know about yet.)

But some CLEOs treat it as a "permit" and either deny a signature or hassle the applicant. A few have reportedly demanded hefty bribes or "campaign contributions" in return for the signature.

That is one good thing about Maryland. The CLEO is the State Police and they stick to the law. Some local officials operate on the basis of personal prejudice, racial bias or whose grandfather did what to whose great aunt.

Once you send in the application, there are no more hassles. but getting the tax stamp may take a while.

Jim

Back