Next generation targets for personal use and private ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

markurxn

Inactive
My brother and I are attempting to reimagine the portable target range with a set of shooting targets designed for the .22 to 9mm. Two features that stand out are first its solid state design using a magnet to catch and release the target plate, and second having fully protected LED lighting. Together, they are wirelessly linked to an array of other targets to give a rich game like and competitive experience. We’ve been hard at work for a full year now and are now announcing it to TFL community today. We’d love to solicit your feedback.

.22 target teaser

I’m sticking around today to answer any questions.

interesting, I went to your website, but I could not get on, maybe because I use firefox? I can see using it at the city range I frequent. does your website have pricing information?

David

Hey David, we don't have much info on the website yet. This is really just a teaser video to show you the project in the works. We've just got the system stable now, so we can begin to work on other things like website and pricing!

I would love to see this in an indoor range as well. We want to move in that direction too.

Please post back when you have some pricing and when it will be ready to ship. Looks like something I would like to talk to the other board members at my range about.

Very cool and nifty innovation. I'm afraid it will be a touch out of my price range... but a phenomenal idea. You could bring the old school shooting gallery back

I would assume you would carry replacement LED light covers and lights themselves? Is the mechanism to run it a downloadable cell phone app, and what will it run on, or do you offer a standard remote control for those who can't run the app? Please tell me that you are considering a larger size version for 5.56mm and .308, perhaps with full size torsos with spring loaded resetting A-Zones?
That does look interesting indeed, but I would have to quite pricey for us lower income types. Might have to get six guys together to buy six of them - and stands will be separate?

Thanks for the questions Armoredman.

We don't ever carry spare lights, only spare shields. Shields can take serious punishment before exposing the lights. And honestly, we're not great shooters (as you probably tell from the vid), and the shields never get touched. Even when we're shooting with pistols and longer ranges. Its really not a worry. But yes, lights are also replaceable and quick to swap out.

We are running it on Android and iOS now. And its sweet! Getting after-action reports after double tap is really fun.

We're designing for lowest price, so thats keeping us away from the larger calibers at the moment. this unit weighs about 15 .lbs right now. A full range pistol target weighs more than double. A rifle caliber would be more than that. So that gives you an idea of where the price goes with caliber.

I'm not a gamer or a wiz-bang gizmo guy, but that is pretty cool. Let us know when you can tell us about pricing, etc. I think I can get a few more guys interested in something like that.

I have to wonder what the "lowest [sales] price" is going to be. Pneumatic targets were hugely expensive. Battery powered reactive targets are very expensive. I have a feeling that the little COF in the video will be many thousands of dollars. Not suggesting it won't be worth the price, only that "lowest" is quite relative.

As for the durability of the LED shield and not being great shooters. Durability is a key factor for such targets and that will come with associated maintenance. Lots of people are not great shooters. From your description, it sounds like the shields are sacrificial, so buyers will need to buy replacements and buy replacements up front to have on hand for when they notice a shield starting to fail, assuming they notice it before it does fail and the bullet gets in the unit. Nobody wants to get stuck wanting to shoot the fun targets, only to be waiting on a replacement parts...

^^^^ oh I don't think anyone here has any delusions that this will be affordable for the masses at a personal level. If you are a member of a club range you may be able to do a group buy...

The more I think about it, though, a dueling tree is MUCH cheaper and can be just about as fun. It's still a nifty idea but the price point will be interesting. If a good setup could be purchased for a few grand, you might be in the area of a few clubs going for it. Probably a few professional ranges. Your occassional well-to-do individual. Depends on the members/owners I guess...

5whiskey---or maybe like you said before in your earlier post, it'll will bring back the old time shooting gallery...maybe show a new generation how much fun shooting can be.

Dale I think it could, and you are right. I'm a fuddy duddy. I'm only 36, but people our age are kind of in-betweens. Sure, I'm not gramps who walked to school everyday (literally). I did, however, not have a cell phone until I was in my 20's. I worked on a farm as a boy, and A/C was scarce at times.

With that being said, I can have fun shooting at paper for groups. I don't need bells and whistles to make it exciting. My daughters... well the bells and whistles would make it much more fun for them. So I'm actually beginning to re-think the actual value in this. Even if it is very expensive (and we know it will be), I see value in it.

Walking back and forth to reset targets saves ammo and relaxes me lol.

I like the anticipation of not really knowing how well I shot until I start getting close to the paper target. Walking, squinting, walking, squinting, walking, squinting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back