Newest addition..............

Bob Wright

I was sort of browsing around the gun shops this morning, just to keep my face known to the folks there, when I stumbled upon this little gem and before I knew it I bought it. Its a Ruger Bearcat:

I don't hunt anymore, so .22s are not much interest to me, but once in awhile I get the itch just for a fun gun, and I reckon this fills the bill for that. Here it is posed with my Ruger Single Six for size comparison:

Bob Wright

Excellent addition, I had a Super Bearcat years ago and just could not get a good grip on it when shooting so it got moved down the road. I almost got one again when the stainless models came out but fought the urge. They really are sweet guns, I wish they made them in 32cal. for something a little more fun.

I've never handled a Bearcat, Bob, how's it feel in the hand? I'm guessing that I'd have to shove my trigger finger too far through the trigger guard to get any accuracy with it. How say you? Rod

I've never handled a Bearcat, Bob, how's it feel in the hand? I'm guessing that I'd have to shove my trigger finger too far through the trigger guard to get any accuracy with it. How say you? Rod

Well, it does feel a mite small in my hand, but the trigger position feels O.K. Tomorrow will determine the accuracy.

It does sit nice and low in the hand.

Bob Wright

Hey Bob

Very nice. How about a photo showing the Bearcat, the Three Screw Single Six, and a Three Screw Blackhawk altogether for a size comparison?

Personally, I was never interested in the Bearcat, but who knows?

Hey Bob

Very nice. How about a photo showing the Bearcat, the Three Screw Single Six, and a Three Screw Blackhawk altogether for a size comparison?

Personally, I was never interested in the Bearcat, but who knows?

Drift,

I'll have to get on that tomorrow ~ too late in the day for good photos.

I never was interested in the Bearcat, either. But then this just happened. I can't explain it.

Bob Wright

I wanted a Bearcat after I saw the first one. But I have read a few post saying they were not always accurate or shot close to point of aim. Plus I have a S&W model 34-1 that is about the same size and weight and it does shoot very well. Its an old flat latch model I paid $250 for OTD a few years ago.

So I hope you have a shooter and post some pics of tight groups on the target. Of course if you do you may get me started again. I haven't bought a gun in a few months and I am starting to itch all over. A sure sign a new gun of some sort is in my future.:eek:

That would be one of the new production Bearcats???

I've been curious about them...

Dad got Mom a Super Bearcat (steel gripframe) around 1970. $56 and he got them to throw in a left handed holster (Mom was left handed). Sweet LITTLE gun, old (colt) style lockwork, and a grip that was too short for my then 15 year old hands. I could, literally curl 2 fingers under the butt. Shot well for me though.

Shot exceptionally well for Mom, who got the local nickname Annie Oakley. She wasn't really as good as that, but her name was Ann, and she was good. :D It might be the gun fit her so well because she was a small lady, 4'10 (and a HALF! Dammnit! ;)) and wore a size 3.5 ring. My high school ring was 8.5 and her ring could pass through mine!

t I have read a few post saying they were not always accurate or shot close to point of aim.

It's quite possible. But remember they are fixed sight .22s, and some of them only shoot well or to point of aim with certain ammo. Changing ammo can turn a poor shooting .22 into a tackdriver. No guarantees, of course, but it can happen...

I've only handled one Bearcat and I wasn't impressed with the feel of the action on it. Felt loose and gritty.

How is it on yours Bob?

Always liked the look and small size of the Bearcat, but with the new LCRx .22 out, it's a lighter weight, has better sights, has a DA trigger, swing out cylinder, 8 rounds, and is about rustproof.

The Bearcat is inferior to it in every way.

I reckon it's like saying a 1958 Chevy Pickup is inferior to a 2017 Chevy Pickup.

Actually its like saying a Corvette is inferior to a Jeep Wrangler. Two different approaches all together.

Bob Wright

Bob, some folks just don't appreciate single action revolvers. Gotta go plastic to be hip these days.

Guess we'll just have to be content to sit in our rocking chairs fondlin' our old... Blackhawks & SAA antiques.
That little Bearcat of yours looks pretty neat to me - I'd like to get one of the even smaller Shopkeepers in stainless.

5eb358b94a97d80a1e04bdb70e8369695efbf45.jpg

Guns086_zps268ebc1b.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at the bearcats that have the adjustable sights(distributor exclusives). Not sure if I should just get a single-ten instead.

Back