Newby SBR question

SMGTPA67

Inactive
i purchased a 14.5 inch Colt Mil-Surp M-16 upper. the fellow whom i purchased it from told me all i had to do was weld - pin the FS on the barrel and that is all i had to do to keep it all legal true or false. i do know that i can get another LONGER type FS and weld it on. or do i just need to pony up the $200 and do a form 1 and wait till hades ices over before i get the paperwork back.

You either have to put a flash hider on that will bring the length to 16" minimum and then have it permanently attached or you have to (already should have) submit a form 1. It's only taking about 30 days +-5 door to door on a form 1 right now. Unless the current flash hider makes the barrel 16" and is permanently attached don't install it on your lower without an approved form1. Someone could easily make a case for having an illegal SBR just for possessing the upper and having a lower that is not registered.

thanks for the reply Don, i'll get the form 1 going. i guess it must have been ignorance on the sellers part telling me to weld the FS.

i guess it must have been ignorance on the sellers part telling me to weld the FS.

Re-read Don's post. Welding or permanently attaching a flash hider is an acceptable way to bring the overall length to 16"

i'm a bit confused now so the seller was correct that all i had to do is weld the existing FS and that in of itself brings it to the acceptable 16" length??:confused:

so the seller was correct that all i had to do is weld the existing FS and that in of itself brings it to the acceptable 16" length??

Yes - depending upon which FS you have. If its a standard A1 or A2 birdcage, its not going to be long enough - you'll need to get something a bit longer.

thanks for the help fellas, i think i'm going to op for the longer FS. will most likely go with the SDI extended length A2 it will give me the 1/2 " i need to be legal, the FS on it now is a regular A2 that lacks the 1/2" of length by the way i'm measuring so i'm thinking without an FS on the barrel it would be 14.5" total length i think. but i got it figured out with all the help thanks abunch. Stu

Back