Newbie with a M1 Carbine

RadioDude

Inactive
I’m new to the site and forum. I just signed my FFL to get my M1Carbine in 10 days---you guessed right I live California.

In the interim, I need some help with the “alphabet soup” that was given to me from the dealer. This is the information that I got off the for sale page:

Inland Division of G.M. U.S cal. 30 M-1 Carbine, Model of 1944, serial number 6744XXX, with an18” barrel with excellent bore. This beauty is all correct having only had 40 rounds fired. The metal rates 99% and the wood about 98% with some handling marks, small dings. There was substantial cosmoline found when disassembled to check out markings. Marks are as follows: Barrel date 12-41 “P” proof on the barrel. Front band type “B”. Hand guard type “C” marked “OI”. Slide type “D” marked” PI”. Round Bolt marked “OI” with flat tip extractor. Recoil Plate Type “B”. Clear ordnance escutcheon. Type “C” stock. Trigger housing type “A”, safety type “B”. Clip release type “C” “M” Marked, Hammer type “C” “W”I marked.

I copied the information as is, it’s not well written. The “A B C D” type iding has me concerned, it seems very confusing. If anyone can shed some light on these markings it would be very helpful. It says 1944 however the barrel says12-41. It’s confusing to me when the weapon was actually made.

It has a clear Inland cartouche on the right hand side of the stock near the sling port. This was not listed in the information above

I found a site that has the “U.S. .30 Carbine Index of Assigned Serial Numbers” from 1942 through 1945. My carbine was built from January 1945 (6,664,884) to August 1945 (7,234,883). The dealer who handled the FFL told me it was made in March 1945, well with in the January-August time period.

Are there references manuals that go that deep with information on the actual month M1 Carbine’s were produced?

Any information would be helpful to decipher the above information.

RD

There exists somewhere a website that breaks down every marking on carbine parts, but I can't find it at the moment. I definitely would not worry about the letters, most of the parts on carbines were made by subcontractors and assembled looking like alphabet soup. I'd ask for a clear picture of the markings on the top of the barrel. My inland is serial number 5137xxx with inland barrel dated 3-44. i have letters all over the parts on mine. I'll keep looking for the website that breaks everything down, if I find it i'll pm you. Here's a link to a pic of mine along with some of its brothers:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32289199@N03/3843158014/

Mine wears a WWII stock with all post war updates. My stock doesn't have any marking but is a very nice piece of wood.

GregM

Back